When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I just spoilt my 1st rep!

caracarnj

This is great info guys.

I have one question. I have a Graham CF chrono and when I reset the chrono the second hand (the large one in the center) never aligns exactly at 12. It's off by a hair, but I'm anal and it bothers me. So I just let the chrono run all the time so I don't have to see it parked there and off center.

1. Is there a cheap fix to this?

2. Is my constantly running the chrono a bad thing?

3. Is it better to have the chrono stopped unless I'm timing something?

Thanks in advance guys.

I have one question. I have a Graham CF chrono and when I reset the chrono the second hand (the large one in the center) never aligns exactly at 12. It's off by a hair, but I'm anal and it bothers me. So I just let the chrono run all the time so I don't have to see it parked there and off center.

1. Is there a cheap fix to this?

2. Is my constantly running the chrono a bad thing?

3. Is it better to have the chrono stopped unless I'm timing something?

If the hand always stops at the same place (off by a hair), then it was simply installed that way (off by a hair) & needs to be removed/reinstalled in a more accurate position -- a 10 minute job for a watchmaker. But if it resets at different points, then the hand may be loose & requires repair as indicated above.

Because the chrono on most watches (all rep watches) shares the mainspring with the clock portion of the movement, running the chrono constantly will reduce the watch's power reserve. The exact amount depends on your watch, the mainspring installed &, if it is an auto-wind movement, your lifestyle. Other than that, you are also accelerating wear on the chrono components, which should not be too much of a problem as long as the movement is serviced regularly (every 5-7 years).

On a rep watch (especially those with relocated running seconds), I would use the chrono as little as possible (if at all) unless it has been properly serviced & the watchmaker gave you the green light use it.

Please allow me to join the discussion here,.

Even if i have made only few posts on this forum, i've been collecting (gen) watches and repairing them for many decades. This doesn't mean that i know it all, but..

The misaligning of the center chrono second hand after a reset is usually due to the hand sitting too loose on the shaft or the central tube coming loose from the hand.

It is a manufacturing tolerance and/or materials problem (The tube on "cheap" second hands are often made of soft and deformable metals and the quality of riveting both parts together is also very poor.. )

It was a very common on the old (gen) Russian chronographs. I used to fix them all the time, as they were manufactured in large quantities without much QC, a bit comparable to the reps we see today. On a high quality gen (with proper servicing) you will almost never see this happen... .

You could try to glue them (if the tube and hand have separated, that is.. I never glued the tube on to the central second shaft, because you may have to remove it later and it does not really remove the cause of the problem), but from my experience, there's only one way to solve this permanently: change the whole hand for a new one, with closer tolerances.

It should fit really thightly.

As far as using the chonograph function: if the watch is properly made, or if the hand has been fixed properly, there is no reason at all for resetting it only close to "12". It should return to zero whatever the stop and reset position is.

For a rep chronograph however, it is sound advise not to reset it too far from zero.. but it should not be like that ....

Just my 2 cts..

Regards,

Lewis.

Amen Lewis, you and I are a lot alike. I've owned over a dozen 7750 based chrono's and a couple of Zenith based and not ONE problem........EVER. In fact, I keep the chrono running 24/7/365 most of the time with all of them and, once again, never one problem. IMOP, in regards to quality chronograph movements, if you don't run them periodically you WILL have problems. Now, as for rep chrono movements, I'd say the 10 second rule is a very good one.

If the hand always stops at the same place (off by a hair), then it was simply installed that way (off by a hair) & needs to be removed/reinstalled in a more accurate position -- a 10 minute job for a watchmaker. But if it resets at different points, then the hand may be loose & requires repair as indicated above.

Because the chrono on most watches (all rep watches) shares the mainspring with the clock portion of the movement, running the chrono constantly will reduce the watch's power reserver. The exact amount depends on your watch, the mainspring installed &, if it is an auto-wind movement, your lifestyle. Other than that, you are also accelerating wear on the chrono components, which should not be too much of a problem as long as the movement is serviced regularly (every 5-7 years).

On a rep watch (especially those with relocated running seconds), I would use the chrono as little as possible (if at all) unless it has been properly serviced & the watchmaker gave you the green light use it.

Thanks for the info freddy. I guess I'll have to stop running the chrono from now on till I can get these suckers serviced. Now only if I can find a rep friendly watchsmith around SoCal.

Because the chrono on most watches (all rep watches) shares the mainspring with the clock portion of the movement, running the chrono constantly will reduce the watch's power reserver. The exact amount depends on your watch, the mainspring installed &, if it is an auto-wind movement, your lifestyle. Other than that, you are also accelerating wear on the chrono components, which should not be too much of a problem as long as the movement is serviced regularly (every 5-7 years).

Exactly !

And if the chrono function is used on a daily basis AND the watch is worn (very) frequently, i would even recommend servicing the watch every three to four years (otherwise every 5 / 6 years is sufficient, just to clean and replace / re-grease hardened oils). Don't let it run till' "everything has grinded to a halt".

Regards,

Lewis.

Ditto that.

Just find yourself a good/reliable watchmaker and keep them oiled/serviced. I've run most of mine 24/7/365 for YEARS without a single failure. However, I keep the movements properly lubricated and I get the "good one's" serviced every 2 - 2.5 years +/-.......

@ Ziggy: of course you can glue tube and hand together (if that's the only problem) . I understand that it's not easy to source parts in the rep world (sorry, i'm new here). So this may be the simplest and fastest (and thus best-) solution.

As I stated earlier, 99% of the problems with rep hands slipping are due to the tube hand joint, replacing the hand with the same type doesn't fix the issue, that is if you can even source a new hand...

The only thing i would like to add: if glueing like that is done: make sure no glue can flow "into" the tube (for example via the top opening). And also make sure the glue on the outside of the tube isn't applied too thick or it could interfere with the free movement of the second hand tube inside the "minute wheel".

If applied too thick, there may be some friction between the two, certainly if the second hand is pushed a bit too deep onto the central second post into the hollow minute wheel.

I originated the glue fix about 4 years ago, because it was the only solution, and have been using it ever since, I have it figured out :)

And unless you have the capability to do your own repairs, only reset the hand when it is stopped between 10am and 2pm, otherwise it will slip and be misaligned.

RG