When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Expert opinion required please

oddjob

Hi,

Please indulge my newbie question. I have searched, and maybe I missed the posts.

I am interested in a simple titanium (or maybe brushed steel) manual PAM.

These models interest me, and I am asking what the differences are?

036, 118, and 177

The next question is about Asian v Swiss Unitas movements in these pieces? There is a big price difference, and so I assume a big quality/reliability difference too?

Final question: in simple terms, what is this "swan neck regulator"? Once again, I see a huge prices difference.

Thanks,

Jon

PAM036 - Ti case, tobacco colored dial, painted indices, "Marina Militare" and "Luminor Panerai" printed on the dial.

PAM118 - Ti case, tobacco colored dial, painted indices, "Luminor Marina" and "Panerai" printed on the dial.

PAM177 - Ti case, black dial, sandwich indices, "Luminor Marina" and "Panerai" printed on the dial.

Swiss v. Asian -- the new A6497s CAN be really good. However, they seem to be a bit more prone to showing up in an assembled watch dirt or lacking the proper amount of oil. It is impossible, or nearly impossible to source parts for the A6497s and the Swiss parts won't fit. So, if you have an issue that can be solved by a cleaning/servicing, you'll have to replace the movement or scavenge another existing A6497 for parts. Not a great thing, but not terrible, as the Asian movements can be gotten for fairly cheap.

The swan neck regulator is a fine regulator system that uses a curved piece of metal to act as a spring against the regulator needle on one side and a small adjustment screw against the regulator on the other side. Allowing for easier and more precise adjustments. Here is a pic to illustrate. At the top-center of the movement, you can see the large curved piece of metal that is the "swan neck" surrounding the dagger shaped regulator.

Asianmovement.jpg

Some extra info: There are 8 Titanium manual winding models by Panerai with in total 10 variations:

036 - brown dial with Marina Militare text, OP II movement (square bidges of the standard Unitas), exhibition caseback, 500 pieces limited edition

040 - black dial (Luminor Marina), OP II movement (square bidges of the standard Unitas), closed caseback, 500 pieces made but not declared a limited edition, therefor a 040 without traces of wearing is at least as much of a collectible as a 036

056 - brown dial without seconds subdial (Luminor), same movement as 040 and closed caseback

061 - brown dial with seconds (Luminor Marina), OP II movement, closed caseback

116 - followed the 056, same watch as 056, but with OP X movement (Panerai style bridges and swan neck without seconds) and exhibition back

118 - followed the 061, same watch as 061, but with OP XI movement (Panerai style bridges and swan neck with seconds) and exhibition back

176 - black dial, but everything else is just as the 116

177 - black dial, but everything else is just as the 118

176/177 H series: From H series on the watch came with a sandwich dial and a thicker CG. The movements were no longer decorated with Panerai engravings all over them but with a "Cote de Geneve" decoration.

My advice is to look for a nice 177H with correct swan neck movement as the earlier OP XI version is a little hard to find at the moment. You might decide for a basic 118 without swan neck movement and change the caseback to make it a 061. But the 118 as well as the closed caseback is hard to get. There are 2 standard rep cases out there:

- The case with the 48 teeth crown: nice watch, but the bezel is too thick and the lug ends need a minor correction to be authentic as the are too round on their topside. This case usually comes with the 036 or the 118.

- The other case is quite good, but the Ti watches come with a 60 teeth crown (correct) made of stainless steel (incorrect). But you might consier a T-crown anyway. This case comes with most 177H. If you prefer a non-second (base) version you might have to get a base dial and cut the seconds pinion from the movement.

Talking about Asian/Swiss just spend some more on a correct swan neck movement but don

Edited by Fish

and where did you put the 082? :whistling: .....my favorite titanium manual winding PAM

Sorry I forgot the "Amerigo Vespucci", a Marina Militare with special engraved full caseback and blue dial with a nice decent metal shine.

Similar category as the 036 as they are the only real special editions among the manual Ti versions.

Sorry I forgot the "Amerigo Vespucci", a Marina Militare with special engraved full caseback and blue dial with a nice decent metal shine.

Similar category as the 036 as they are the only real special editions among the manual Ti versions.

definitely the nicest Ti PAM you can buy...love the combnination of the titanium and blue color of the dial...If everything goes as planned mine should be ready within a couple of next weeks... B)

definitely the nicest Ti PAM you can buy...love the combnination of the titanium and blue color of the dial...If everything goes as planned mine should be ready within a couple of next weeks... B)

I cant find any pictures of this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks