When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how come none of the dealers give straight shots of their reps

faonmyea

Yes, it's the same €35 watch taken from two angles. To make matters worse, neither of them is correct. :D

The date alignment on that watch is perfectly fine, but I deliberately took two pictures from different distances and angles to show how easy it is to get it slightly off and present what would normally be an accurate rep as a flawed one.

what you showed me in those pictures is the date font is fine the mag is not, nor is the day. the hands look good enough, along with the logo and other details. these pictures would give me enough information about the dial, assuming i liked the rest of the watch, so i could make a decision wether or not i could live with those particular flaws. we know all of them have flaws, all i want is enough information to decide if i can live with the particular flaws of the watch in question. there , that wasn't so hard now was it. give me all of the beauty shots you want, but, i still want a utilatarian, detailed, head on shot of the watch so i can decide if i can live with it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what you showed me in those pictures is the date font is fine the mag is not, nor is the day. the hands look good enough, along with the logo and other details. these pictures would give me enough information about the dial, assuming i liked the rest of the watch, so i could make a decision wether or not i could live with those particular flaws.

You missed the huge flaw: The reason I chose this watch for the example - The entire movement is off-axis. And because everyone was looking at the date cyclops, no-one noticed. :D

If you didn't spot that while doing a detailed examination of the dial, what else did you miss? You have specific flaws you want to look for and everyone else will have a different checklist. Head-on pictures may be what you're after, but I may want something completely different.

Come on, you've got to admit, that was funny. :D

You missed the huge flaw: The reason I chose this watch for the example - The entire movement is off-axis. And because everyone was looking at the date cyclops, no-one noticed. :D

If you didn't spot that while doing a detailed examination of the dial, what else did you miss? You have specific flaws you want to look for and everyone else will have a different checklist. Head-on pictures may be what you're after, but I may want something completely different.

Come on, you've got to admit, that was funny. :D

no, what i said was flaws that i could live with. i fix it being off axis.

If you're using the bezel as an indicator for the position of the HE valve....then you need to get your head sorted out.....and / or your sense of perspective......

I agree 100%. But that apparently didn't stop whover took those pics from giving it the ol' college try. Bottom line: As long as someone isn't altering the pics in a misleading way, they are free to take pictures from any angle they want. Or position any moving part of the watch they want, for that matter.

Or you could use King's approach, which is to put your logo wherever the He Valve is :lol: :

post-53-1152592255_thumb.jpg

post-53-1152592276_thumb.jpg

post-53-1152592296_thumb.jpg

post-53-1152592365_thumb.jpg

I agree 100%. But that apparently didn't stop whover took those pics from giving it the ol' college try. Bottom line: As long as someone isn't altering the pics in a misleading way, they are free to take pictures from any angle they want. Or position any moving part of the watch they want, for that matter.

Or you could use King's approach, which is to put your logo wherever the He Valve is :lol: :

lmfao.

I think you guys are asking for too much. You don't expect the dealer to give you a full detailed specification in pdf.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories. Most of the dealers have no idea where are the flaws. How could they hide the flaws intentionally?

I chatted with king a few days ago. She asked me for camera advice. She's planning to get a Nikon D70 or a Canon XT. Other dealers like sichuan and river also discussed camera stuffs with me on MSN.

I think most of the dealers are trying to take the best pictures. Not everyone like TTK who can take professional pictures. Well, I think you may ask the dealer if you have any doubts.

Btw, I am more concerned about dealers calling mineral glass as sapphire. Also, what the heck is light AR coated/coating? It's just annoying. Everytime when i sell a used watch, there are people asking me about AR coating. They always say x dealer claimed light AR Coating. How come yours don't have AR coating...blah blah blah...

This is a reply I recently received, "I'm concerned about the glare that i'll get on the watch outside especially in nyc."

ya, whatever...they are the same version and I am telling you that it doesn't have AR coating. Believe it or not...

I do agree Cwai.

I don't know what is happening at this moment but it seems to be a handfull members do think they can buy a gen for usd 250-300?

Also dealers pics are wrong or better,they are fooling us?

Wrong angle,wrong watch,wropng dealer?

What is wrong here??????

It's a REP meaning ............... flaws.

So what's the point?

I don't understand it anymore.

What's next a gen Rolex for usd 500.

I think it's a case of misinterpretation.......altho' the photos from KING could be misconstrued as being deceptive....because of the logo placement......I genuinely don't think that's the case.....WHY?.....if you were deliberately doing that....the members would be howling that there are wild discrepancies in the received item......and everyone would be jumping on the bandwagon.....!

The fundamental problem is that too many members....seem to think that they are buying a mirror image of the genuine.....and that's rarely the case.....a lot of members are expecting a 99% ratio for the price......whilst paying 5-10% of the cost of a genuine......it's unfair....!

I think it's a case of misinterpretation.......altho' the photos from KING could be misconstrued as being deceptive....because of the logo placement......I genuinely don't think that's the case.....WHY?.....if you were deliberately doing that....the members would be howling that there are wild discrepancies in the received item......and everyone would be jumping on the bandwagon.....!

The fundamental problem is that too many members....seem to think that they are buying a mirror image of the genuine.....and that's rarely the case.....a lot of members are expecting a 99% ratio for the price......whilst paying 5-10% of the cost of a genuine......it's unfair....!

I think you're dead on about expectations. And I think that's why some care thought is put into many dealer's pics to, can we say, put the watches in the best possible light. King's probably sick of people bitching about the He valve being 1/2mm too low. You have the skills to make an $80 day-date special look like a genuine patek in a straight-on, reveal-all shot. Others do not have those skills. I don't think anyone who's been around the block takes Kings hamhanded logo thing too seriously...or in the old days when some would set the time to 9:15 to hide the datwheel color. It's part of the game.

But dealers shouldn't read the posts around here and confuse the "mod game" with a demand for out of the box perfection. I've argued and will continue to insist that for many around here the persuit of perfection, the actual attemt to bring a watch as close to 100% replication as possible, is the end not the means. It's play. The fun is in the persuit not the result. I have a bunch of seriously flawed reps I wear on a regular basis w/o a care in the world. I also have spent nearly $600 bucks getting my PAM 051 an A's-crossbar away from indistinguishability from the genuine. Both are fun.

We loose sight of "Entertainment purposes only" and it's easy to do so here where the knife edge of perfection is discussed daily. The fact is that a 98% accurate replica is usually as good as it's going to get and when we get gems like the Link Chrono that are 99.5%, we buy them up as fast as we can. The businessmen and women who trade and advertise on this site are, by group conscience and definition, the best as far as reliability and honesty in a trade that is ILLEGAL. I just can't understand why people expect fair trade practices like they are shopping at Wal-Mart in the buying and selling of counterfeits. These dealers are the ones who have passed the test of walking the walk and anyone who smells of talking the talk while getting over on us is quickly brought up for group thumbs up or down. To intimate these pictures are, as a whole seeking to decieve, is insulting AND naieve. The dealers here all try to sell a little but they certainly know we are a very educated group and no amount of over the top claims or hidden by photographic sleight of hand defects are going to fly here for very long. Do they attempt to emphasize the positives rather than the defects in their products? Sure. What businessperson worth a damn doesn't? Do they attempt to sell us crap while claiming it's gold? Not that I've seen.

Edited by crystalcranium

We loose sight of "Entertainment purposes only" and it's easy to do so here where the knife edge of perfection is discussed daily. The fact is that a 98% accurate replica is usually as good as it's going to get and when we get gems like the Link Chrono that are 99.5%, we buy them up as fast as we can. The businessmen and women who trade and advertise on this site are, by group conscience and definition, the best as far as reliability and honesty in a trade that is ILLEGAL. I just can't understand why people expect fair trade practices like they are shopping at Wal-Mart in the buying and selling of counterfeits. These dealers are the ones who have passed the test of walking the walk and anyone who smells of talking the talk while getting over on us is quickly brought up for group thumbs up or down. To intimate these pictures are, as a whole seeking to decieve, is insulting AND naieve. The dealers here all try to sell a little but they certainly know we are a very educated group and no amount of over the top claims or hidden by photographic sleight of hand defects are going to fly here for very long. Do they attempt to emphasize the positives rather than the defects in their products? Sure. What businessperson worth a damn doesn't? Do they attempt to sell us crap while claiming it's gold? Not that I've seen.
like i said many times, i expect the flaws but, different manufactures have different flaws and i want pictures that allow me to make a informed decsion on witch flaws i can live with. short hands on a po? no i will see that every time i look at it and it will drive me crazy. mod the watch? hell no, it's not a expensive watch. i am not going to tie up 700.00 on a rep when i can buy a nice used gen for 1800.00. with that said i will spend 600.00 on modding a tt sub because a gen is 7100.00. i just want a good picture that allows me to decide on the flaws i can or cannot live with. it has nothing to do with thinking it should have no flaws at all. anybody that expects a rep will have no flaws is a fool.

i want...i want.. i want

That's all you seem to hear around here.....you'll get what you get and live with it ...or you won't get it at all......too many buses coming along....!