When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help with vintage Daytona project!

concepta

Hey Vintagelovers!

I need some help guiding me in my Vintage Daytona 6263 project.

I have a DW 6263 case with gen dial and with a mysterious but working movement. Gen tropic 21 crystal is on its way + i just bought a NOS gen bezel. Now back to the issue with the movement! I want to swap to a Valjoux 72 movement. Will any kind of Val72 movement fit and be adopted in this watch? Is for example a VINTAGE VALJOUX 72C ok to install?

+ if any of you guys have anything picking up dust i can use in this project, please PM me and i might take it of your hands :-)

Grateful for guidance!

Yup :good:

And good luck with your project. Keep us posted & do not forget the pictures.

daytonacase20011.jpg

p.s. Most of the 'NOS' vintage Daytona bezels I have seen were in fact newly made aftermarket parts. Hint - check the spacing in the 1s in '110'. If the spacing matches the other 3-digit numbers on the bezel, it may be gen. If the spacing is different, it is aftermarket. Caveat emptor.

Yes, the C contains a date & was used in some of the pre-Daytona chronographs like the 6236

Rolex-Dato-Compax-6236-1.jpg

Sorry, but any of these tri-compax (3 subdial) Valjoux models will work

72, 72a, 72b, 722, 726 or 727.

And, actually, the 72C can be made to work, but you would need to either accommodate the extra space for the date components or remove them (they add an additional 3/4mm or so to the calbre's overall height.

Yes, the C contains a date & was used in some of the pre-Daytona chronographs like the 6236

Rolex-Dato-Compax-6236-1.jpg

Sorry, but any of these tri-compax (3 subdial) Valjoux models will work

72, 72a, 72b, 722, 726 or 727.

And, actually, the 72C can be made to work, but you would need to either accommodate the extra space for the date components or remove them (they add an additional 3/4mm or so to the calbre's overall height.

Puuuh..i almost pulled the trigger on a 72C movement! U saved me some serious bucks. Thanks brother!

The saga continues...

dw has a case for his mystery movement (like val. 23 with fake hrs counter)

and a case for val. 72

differences: depth of rehaut and position of crown (val. 72 is thicker than val 23)

I have both here. a complete mystery movement dw 6265 still in working condition

and a val 72 case kit ready to assemble.

I thought DW cases were built to have a Val72?

I know that some other 1:1 cases only can have a val23..but the DW should be able to adopt the Val72!?

DWs can accommodate a V72, a V23 or an A7750. All basically the same case, but internally tailored for the dimensions of the movement & fitted with a deeper caseback (in the case of the A7750)

6263andcompany005-10241.jpg

Just wondering...Did you not believe me when I told you?

Looks like a nice start.

Here's some info that might help...I'm not sure where that case came from, but it looks like it was made for the VJ23, and not the VJ72. There is a difference in the height of the stems. If you look at your picture of the side of the case, you can see that the centerline of the pushers don't line up with the center of the crown. On a VJ72 case, these three are all on the same line. If your VJ23 stem is properly centered in the tube, then the VJ72 stem probably will not be.

humm..

I thought that the Mystery version could only be retrofitted to the V23. I'd triple check that through a search.

I tried a V72C first but found that you had to remove the calendar parts to accommodate the inside dimensions. For teh sake of simplicity, I'd opt for the straight V72 or V726

I thought DW cases were built to have a Val72?

I know that some other 1:1 cases only can have a val23..but the DW should be able to adopt the Val72!?

I thought that you said that you have a J&W case. If that's true, then you should be able to fit any of the VJ72 variants (72,722,726,727). You probably want to avoid models 72C (Calendar), 724 & 729 (GMTs).

If you actually have a DW case, it will be one of two models: built either for the Mystery Movement (VJ23), or the VJ72. If it is the MM case, then the only option (which does not require rework of the case) is to go with a Valjoux 23 bi-compax. If you have the DW VJ72 case, then any of the movements listed above will fit.

To my knowledge, DW is the only source for cases that were designed to fit the VJ23...All others were designed to fit the VJ72.

There is literally a ton of information on vintage Daytonas here on the board. Almost any question that you can ask has already been addressed...It just takes a little searching.

I thought that you said that you have a J&W case. If that's true, then you should be able to fit any of the VJ72 variants (72,722,726,727). You probably want to avoid models 72C (Calendar), 724 & 729 (GMTs).

If you actually have a DW case, it will be one of two models: built either for the Mystery Movement (VJ23), or the VJ72. If it is the MM case, then the only option (which does not require rework of the case) is to go with a Valjoux 23 bi-compax. If you have the DW VJ72 case, then any of the movements listed above will fit.

To my knowledge, DW is the only source for cases that were designed to fit the VJ23...All others were designed to fit the VJ72.

There is literally a ton of information on vintage Daytonas here on the board. Almost any question that you can ask has already been addressed...It just takes a little searching.

Hmm..then i have to risk putting out a lot of money for a movement that maybe not will fit :(

Or..just stick with the mystery movement..but thats no fun :(