When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

World switch off, Sept 17, 21:50 to 22:00

Chino

Ok, I just got this in the mail and thought that maybe someone would join in too.

This is posted to add people to the idea and not to criticise it. We're tolerant in that aspect.

I'll shut off every power operated aparatus, even the beer fridge. :rolleyes:

hope you guys can spread the word and sum up.

thanks.

Chino.

> >> ESTE APAG

That kind of thing makes no difference at all. It's not like they can turn off the generators. :)

So by that rationale, all this stuff about 'reducing a carbon footprint' by turning off lights when not in a room, not leaving TVs, Hi Fis on standby, etc, is a complete waste of time too, and little more than political spin?

Awesome :D

So by that rationale, all this stuff about 'reducing a carbon footprint' by turning off lights when not in a room, not leaving TVs, Hi Fis on standby, etc, is a complete waste of time too, and little more than political spin?

Couldnt have summarised it better myself :)

I leave every light and electrical appliance on. Even leave my car and my wife's running on the drive. I leave the fridge and freezer door open and wash one item at a time in the washing machine.

I am trying my best to speed up global warming because we have had a shitty summer in the UK this year and hopefully if the world can join in with me, the UK will be positively "tropical" next year.

God bless the tree huggers - pity the branches are so high otherwise we might be able to hang more of 'em!!

Get some information about power plants.... Gas plants need 2 minutes of increasing power... coal power plants ~ 5 hours... and nuclear power plants should always give the same amount of power..... 10 minutes just means that for 10 minutes there is the same amount of coal burned..gas fired... etc...

Actually this kind of "event" means some kind of risk to the grid... not that anything will happen... but if in reality millions of electric items are getting turned on again at the same time... they consume maybe in one ms more than the grid can deliver...

Pug is right. I

Edited by piratedzeus

I agree this is a gesture designed to make a point. A point which shows that people do care about the environment in which we live in, and who are also not afraid to take the corrective action needed.

For those who may care about doing something a little longer lasting, and which will have a definite impact that can be almost immediately seen, check out this site:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/

After reading through some of the tips there, I was able to go from getting an average of 22mpg on the highway to almost 30mpg. The savings in fuel during that one trip was near $10. Multiply that by the lifetime of the vehicle, and the savings in fuel costs is significant.

I have found the answer! By remaining childless, I have reduced my carbon footprint to the tune of every generation of progeny who might have continued to breed until global warming requires the evolution of gills. By my reckoning, I have earned the carbon footprints of all those unborn children that I could have produced. This is the ultimate carbon offset- I can drive an SUV to the post office across the road, charter flights to fly in circles with loads of bricks just to burn fuel and roll flaming rubber tyres into the rainforest without guilt. I have a free pass - I've earned it!

In fact, since the only thing I will leave to posterity is my carbon footprint, I'd like to make it as large as possible. And I'd also like to offset that big dark imprint on the posterior of the next person who assumes that everyone must want to have children or that the world can be saved by wearing switching my TV, DVD and everything else off standby.

:bleh: :bleh: :bleh::bones::diablo::plane::evil2::drive1::cc_scooter::bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

Get some information about power plants.... Gas plants need 2 minutes of increasing power... coal power plants ~ 5 hours... and nuclear power plants should always give the same amount of power..... 10 minutes just means that for 10 minutes there is the same amount of coal burned..gas fired... etc...

Actually this kind of "event" means some kind of risk to the grid... not that anything will happen... but if in reality millions of electric items are getting turned on again at the same time... they consume maybe in one ms more than the grid can deliver...

Pug is right. I

I don't particularly want information about power plants, as I don't really care what they need or what it means. I was agreeing with Pug's point, and that by extention, if it isn't going to make a difference if people turn things off or leave them on (as the power plants are still using the resources to produce the power anyway) then all these adverts telling people to consume less power, turn off lights and TVs ect, is just a load of political spin, and not actually going to do anything, other than make people feel better about themselves. :)

I don't particularly want information about power plants, as I don't really care what they need or what it means. I was agreeing with Pug's point, and that by extention, if it isn't going to make a difference if people turn things off or leave them on (as the power plants are still using the resources to produce the power anyway) then all these adverts telling people to consume less power, turn off lights and TVs ect, is just a load of political spin, and not actually going to do anything, other than make people feel better about themselves. :)

Not quite right...

Not quite right...

In what way?

Either turning stuff off will save energy, or it won't. As I understand it, turning things off won't affect the amount of energy being produced, and, as it's the production of energy which is consuming the resources, not the end users, then turning things off really won't make any difference to the actual production 'costs'... If I've missed something, please enlighten me :)

• 4 months later...