When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No Wonder

freddy333

It IS a 6542.

Until today, after seeing the '1066' engraving between the lugs at 12

lugengraving0011.jpg

I had no reason to even bother to check the other side of the case because the watch was designed as a vintage Sub, so I just assumed the case was designed to be a vintage Sub (even though, strangely, gen 6542 parts seem to fit the case as though it was made for them). So I had long ago accepted the fact that the engravings were wrong (for a 6542). But, once again, I have learned my lesson - Never Assume Anything.

As I was about to begin the modification work on the case, I found this between the other set of lugs (which explains alot)

lugengraving0021.jpg

Boy, are the Silix kids missing the boat by marketing this thing as a 'Cartier Sub'.

:band1:

Boy, that lazer printing sure sucks. But if it works for you freddy that's great. Keep us posted.

No, I agree that it sucks. I wish the engraving was more accurate. But considering that this is supposed to be a Sub case & the last thing I ever expected to find engraved between its lugs was '6542', I just thought it was worth mentioning. Especially, since this case is being marketed as a Sub case & I took a chance in thinking it might be amenable to being 'prodded' into use as a 6542. Just sort of added support to my suspicion that the case was better suited for use as a 6542 since the gen & MY 6542 parts fit it so well.

Here is the freshly completed rols176 case, now with appropriately flat sides & properly sized lug holes to accept gen 2mm dia springbars

moddedcase0061.jpg

moddedcase0081.jpg

moddedcase0091.jpg

A gen for comparison

genside.jpg

When you say "now with appropriately flat sides" what have you done? The lugs look thinner in the second set of pics.

Also, have you checked the inside of the case to see what size dial you're gonna be able to fit in there? It frustrates me no end because so many of the rep dials are about 1mm larger than their gen counterparts, typically making the gen dial too small for the rep case. I'm thinking the 6542 dial is around 27mm.

Is it me or do the lugs still look too pointed compared to the genuine? Looks to me like they need to be softened a bit ^_^

This gen has rounded tips (probably from years of polishing), but I have lots of pics of other gens that have more pointed tips. So I decided to leave them as is for the time being. I can always go back & round them later if I decide to go that route.

Wow, great find and nice work so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

RG

Thanks, RG. The donor watch (2893-2 & dial) should be here within a week & I am still awaiting a crown, which should also be here by then. If I do not run into any roadblocks along the way, the watch could be complete this weekend.

When you say "now with appropriately flat sides" what have you done? The lugs look thinner in the second set of pics.

Also, have you checked the inside of the case to see what size dial you're gonna be able to fit in there? It frustrates me no end because so many of the rep dials are about 1mm larger than their gen counterparts, typically making the gen dial too small for the rep case. I'm thinking the 6542 dial is around 27mm.

The gens all have flat sides

158653516_o.jpg

158654956_o.jpg

The Silix case arrived with rounded sides, tiny lug holes & slight points on either side of the crown

rols17650131.jpg

my_bezel20141.jpg

The lugs have been worn down a bit from 'years of polishing'.