When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please assess this gmt movt

mastergod

http://cgi.ebay.com/GMT-Automatic-Movement...id=p3286.c0.m14

post-2870-1220916020_thumb.jpg

post-2870-1220916028_thumb.jpg

Hi guys - noob question...

Damn! Looking for a gmt movement for a Rolex related fantasy project I found this on the bay. Obviously not swiss. Still, can anybody tell me the vph? Need 28,800 or nothing. An alternative could be a Raketa 24 hours movt (supposedly pretty good), but that's 14,400 vph according to the seller...

Is there something one should be warned about regarding the movt I found on the bay? How "bad" is the quality? - equal or worse when compared to standard rep asian gmts? Same thing? The low price kinda put me off. Been trying to get hold of a swiss but its either far too costly or not available, and I gotta act fast to because assembly-guys are waiting to start...

Cheers,

MG

same movement that is found in the alpha watches

hand size should be .17/1.0/1.5/2.0 - 99% sure that it is a 28.8 movement. It is not a jump hand and there is some slop in the adjustment of the GMT hand.

OK Thanks. Damn, can't see myself spending lots of good money on a custom project and sticking this movement in it.

i have an asian made gmt movement, its 21k, a little choppy looking, have to set the gmt hand 12minutes ahead of what the actualltime is before it kicks in, shares a set position with the quick set date. one of the gears in mine is grinding, so every time i open the case i find metal filings all over the place...even a few specks on the dial...

still chinese but you can use the the DG3804B found at http://www.ofrei.com/page1119.html

that is a 28.8 movement from everything I could find - when running it seems really smooth for what it is worth. I have it in a custom watch I am making. Wanted to use an ETA 2893-2 but has been damn near impossible to find one for less than $500 and that is more than I want to drop at the moment.

The real issue with the DG3804 is the lack of hands - movement does not ship with Hands - I wanted to use the GMTII style hands. The only vendor I could find that sold them loose was Cousins but by the time you get them shipped here - you are closing in on $70 for hands

The sizes match the the one you asked about so I bought it and stole the hands - you will likely have an issue with the second hand though as it too long where it attaches to the pinion and will hit the crystal - I destoryed it trying to shorten the tube on the hand.

So now I have a non matching second hand coming from JulesBorel