When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBK/MBW Nautilus - first batch/first run

DemonSlayer

I believe I may be the owner of a first batch MBK Nautilus. In fact I've been told by the previous owner that my one was the 'prototype' Nautilus produced by MBK, CNC'ed from the gen. I don't know much about the details on the Nautilus model, but are there any tells from the current range of MBK Nautilus available, and the ones that were newly released by MBK, I beleive a few years back.

Perhaps some of the veteran members might know?? Any input is greatly appreciated.

LR, I thought that was going to be asked sooner or later :lol: I thought someone might know the specific details and then I could check mine to see if it had those, but the pictures method can work as well. Unfortunately its dark here so pics won't come out very good. I had a couple from before but they might not be the best ones to do a check on:

nautilus009.jpg

nautilus018.jpg

nautilus007.jpg

Yes the black dial is very nice, I know the blue one has an amazing effect in light, and does look awesome in the pics, but I mostly collect black-dialed watches and I just thought the black dial version would look better on my wrist. I believe this dial is incorrect especially because it has the tracks, I have never seen this one before anywhere.

post-22-1221167285_thumb.jpgpost-22-1221166877_thumb.jpg

Your black dial MBK with minute tracks, is less accurate to the gen jumbo 3700/3800 1A, then this one of mine with the unconnected dots. Which is more accurate to the gen.

But of course, neither model is true to the gen because of the difference on the dial of the 'Swiss Made' and incorrect date window alignment and differing date font.

However all that being said, the MBK Nautilus is STILL the best rep ever made...IMO.

Wear it well.

Here is an old post of mines from RWI....

"None of them are "accurate". The MBW Jumbo is a fantasy watch based on the 3700/3800 and a little bit of the 5711 some people say. The 3700 was the only jumbo but it had no seconds hand. The 3800 has the seconds hand but it's a smaller watch. The 5711 is similiar to the 3800. While the dial on the Non-MBW watches appear to be more accurate, there is no dot at the 3 o'clock on the gens. Also the 3700 was marked O SWISS O and the 5711 SWISS. Rumors abound that a dial exactly like those on the MBW was really made but the watch was never released. The allure to the MBW version is the quality and it is a rep that has been copied. At some point it may become the holy grail of the reps and become harder to acquire. I have the MBW version and plan on having the seconds hand removed to make it that much closer to the 3700."

Mines is in Canada getting the seconds hand removed and a new movement installed that has a low cannon pin.

Mines is in Canada getting the seconds hand removed and a new movement installed that has a high cannon pin.

Actually, it would be a low cannon pin. But the post on RWI is right. I guess the best way to do make an MBK more accurate would be to lift the dial off of one of the "chinese" no-track versions and swap the cannopn pin for the secondsless version (or swap the movement as LR is doing). Anyone done this? I guess the dial would fit OK...

Hey guys,

The MBK Nautilus is actually very closely modeled to the 3711/G; Jumbo 42mm size, straight hinges, center seconds and ribbed dial. The difference, however is that the gen is 18k WG (along with some other slight variances; the 3711 has wider hands, and indicies that are closer in size -though not necessarily in shape- to the 5711 series).

Still one of my favorite reps, BTW.... Was considering the idea of removing the seconds hand with the solid pinion, but decided that I like the balance that the seconds hand provides (personal pref). I am confident, however, that LR's watch will look great with the addition of that CP :)

Thanks for that info arch. Bottom line no matter what dial you have, the MBW (for us oldtimers) Nautilus is a rep that has been repped. IMHO that gives it super-rep status. Naturally the earlier ones like Demonslayer's are the best. It's simply what happens when you have a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy.....

The MBK Nautilus is actually very closely modeled to the 3711/G; Jumbo 42mm size, straight hinges, center seconds and ribbed dial. The difference, however is that the gen is 18k WG

I think that it’s more of a mix of the 3711 and the 3700, because the 3711 has an open case back.

Anyway despite all the flaws of this watch it’s my favorite rep and IMHO one of the best on the market.

@ demonslayer: Congrats on your watch, it’s a great one

Edited by emuozz

Hmm, you're right about the dial Emuozz. However there are other differences in terms of the case, the bracelet, lugs, how the bracelet attaches to the case etc. This leads me to believe that the current MBK Nautilus's are a copy of the first batch that was produced, and as Lord Rasta pointed out, you will get differences when its a copy of a copy of a copy etc.

The only difference being, if my theory is correct, that MBK have been able to do a much better job (naturally as they created the first batch ;)) than their chinese counterparts whose version of the Nautilus is not upto par with the MBK version.

One of the main reasons I started this thread, was I remember reading a post by Kruzer I think, where he stated that the first batch Nautilus is very rare today. I just wanted to know for sure whether or not I have that particular version and how can I tell if I do.

I’m a bit confuse, as far as I know there are two manufacturers for the "old" jumbo nautilus rep than I’m aware (probably there are more) are :MBK that has the "original" :p nautilus rep, (available with ETA and Asian eta) this rep has been around since I can recall so the "first" batch it

Edited by emuozz

Thanks for the input Emuozz and Ubiquitous. As Ubi mentioned, there are differences between MBK Nautilus's. Here is the link to the excellent review and comparison by Manuel:

A Tale of Two Nautilus

Check out the pic of the cases:

img1753wl6.jpg

Both are MBW, but you can see the newer one on the top has thicker lugs, and slightly different shaped. The earlier ones had thinner lugs. Ubi has also mentioned that he's even seen some which uses screws to connect the bracelet to the lugs, not pins.