When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to polish my Breitlings...

xslyyx

I use auto polish....the liquid car wax will do. Message it on with your finger, let it dry and polish it off with a cloth. I do multiple coats. The cloth ends up being BLACK even if the watch looked clean before. Bracelets especially glow afterwords and it leaves a nice soft protective coat.

Here is how it looks on a sub braclet:

2496233632_71fc3f2ce5.jpg

how do you guys use the cape cod stuff?

do you rub it on hard or just gently and buff off gently.....

also will it rubb off the AR coating on the glass??

cheers.

DO NOT use cape cod .. metal polish .. water is the solvent of choice for AR.. and a eye glass polishing cloth.. you will strip the AR coat with any polish with Petrolium products.. which most polishes have..or you will scratch the coating..

cape cod has petrolium distillates .. use it only on metal.. and be sure to wear gloves, the sugical type you can get at the drug store.. otherwise your hands may develop a rash.. rinse the metal with warm water.. especially the case back .. any residue will affect your skin !! I am serious about this "Fact"

for deep scratches in the metal (polished metal) use a dremel and metal polish .. for the brushed area .. you need to use a refinishing pen .. or a "Pen Eraser"

the "Brush Pen" can be gotten from "The Watch Boys" (Ebay) or Ofrei..it has fiberglass bristles that refinsh the brushed metal.... if you use cape cod or metal polish with too much pressure you will turn the brushed metal to a glossy look.. a pen eraser will leave the brushed finish the same .. and remove light scratches.. but you need to move it with single strokes to keep the lines straight..

• 1 year later...

Once every few months, I polish up my gen Chron Evo. I start by polishing all deep scratches with a dremel with a felt polishing tip, using jewelers metal polish, the cake-type that comes in large tubes. This gets the scratches out, but leaves the finish uneven and dull in places. I then put it on the bench-mounted polishing wheel to even out the finish. From there, it goes to a good once-over with simichrome and a cotton cloth, and finally, I wipe on some master formula metal gloss polish and buff it off with the cloth. The metal gloss really adds a final touch of the "wet look" to the metal.

aluminum mag polish is good also.. it removes the oxidation form the ss .. brightens the metal and polishes..you can do this by hand with a soft undershirt..or any "cotton" rag.

cape cod cloth..also very good on polished as well as brushed surfaces..

A dremel for the deeper scratches.. you can use metal polish or jewelers rouge .. and polish by hand with metal polish and a soft rag to remove the swirls from the dremel... the dreml can leave ridges if your to aggressive with one spot.. be careful to go in an even motion around the scratches.

A dremel will also remove gouges from acrylic crystals.. just be careful of the edge of the wheel so you don't buen the acrylic.

AC/Lani

Once every few months, I polish up my gen Chron Evo. I start by polishing all deep scratches with a dremel with a felt polishing tip, using jewelers metal polish, the cake-type that comes in large tubes. This gets the scratches out, but leaves the finish uneven and dull in places. I then put it on the bench-mounted polishing wheel to even out the finish. From there, it goes to a good once-over with simichrome and a cotton cloth, and finally, I wipe on some master formula metal gloss polish and buff it off with the cloth. The metal gloss really adds a final touch of the "wet look" to the metal.

These felt tips can leave the ridges Lani was referring to. To remove deep scratches use a spiral sewn or sisal buffing wheel as these provide cutting action. Move the piece against the direction of the wheel. For the final buff, or periodic buffing, use a loose cotton wheel as these are the softest. Move the piece with the direction of the wheel.

Typically I use white rouge on a spiral sewn wheel to remove scratches then finish off with green rouge on a loose cotton wheel, which is the polish. For any swirl marks, I will wet the piece I am working on, hit it with talc powder and lightly work with a loose cotton wheel. I even us talc by hand after I do a quick buff with a Cape Cod.

Remember, that each rouge should have its own wheel to prevent issues.

if heard of people using honda polish

anyone ever try that?

Only on my RVT RC's! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Honda no longer makes this polish. The formula was bought by Next Dimension (Back around '07) and they sell in under "Original Spray & Polish"

Anyone ever try mothers metal polish before? It does a wonderful job with stainless steel, I'm assuming it'll work wonderfully on a stainless steel band. Don't use it on the crystal though!