When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Rep Ingenieur or 3717?

OmegaSeamasterguy

Hi there,

If you guys were to buy 1 watch with no mods out of the box which of the 2 will be the closest to the Gen (ie the fewest flaws)?

I've found that the Ingeniur has a different date wheel than the gen, AR coating diff

3717 harder to find a recessed V1 dial? AR coating?

I was considering the BP but the not working PR kinda bugs me.

Any ideas or is possible to get a BP with a working PR?

My thoughts so far are swaying towards the Ingy.

Thanks,

D

IMO, Best out of the box with minimal or no mods needed:

Rolex GMTIIc

HBB or BB King

Breitling SA or Skyland Avenger

Graham Chronofighter

Panerai Ferrari 008

Ingy is nice and with the right mods (ie Lello DW, AR, and bracelet weld fix) is damn near perfect. I almost bought the GEN last week, but decided against it because the rep is close. The same can be said for the 3717 with a little work (AR, ETA DW, and hour marker fix)

The BP is nice but with unfixable problems, such as sunken DW and non-working PR. The other version with the working PR is much less accurate

I own both, the 3717 and the Inge.

I now ordered a BP, because I love Pilot watches.

If I have to choose between the IWC out of the box, I'll choose the 3717.

All the IWC I have, I bought from Andrew, and the 3717 is awesome.

But If I have to choose only one rep, I wold choose a DSN PAM, I own 2 (005 and one PVD).

I'm still waiting my BP, GMTIIC and the Chopard XTL.

I think that the GMT is pretty nice.

I love my Tudor Hydronaut (I own a gen) and despite the fact the dial is a little blurred in the Tudor inscription, it is to notch. And love my Patek Nautilus, and my Breitling SA.

Thats it.

Max

Definately go for an IWC...!

I had 4 PAM's up till now (started with the 090with power reserve, than the 231 radiomir rosegold, then the 111H and 177H Ti)....

But except for the 177H Ti I've traded all of them and am now the proud owner of IWC's... (a gen mkXVI, the 3717, the Ingy and the GST SS White Face).

Read my collection post for more info on the collection.

I would say: Start with the Ingy!

reasons....

- It's a non-chrono (less risky and less trouble with hands falling off or a stalling A7750)

- it's got an ETA movement

- it's got double AR as well as the 3717 out-of-the-box

- you don't need a new strap, which you do need for the 3717 (major flaw for all rep's coming with a leather strap)

- only upgrade possible is a better datewheel, but that's so tiny that most stick to the rep

- the 3717 needs at least a better AR, strap, and most often ETA datewheels.

total sum of the mod's and waiting time for the 3717 are over 250USD+ (and even more if you go for a high-end strap) + shipping costs + 3 months of shipping your watch around the globe with all customs and movement failure risks....

so.... start-off with the ingy! you won't regret it and can always buy a 2nd 3717 once you have more free funds and waiting time available ;-)