When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quartz version of higher end Reps ?

steve123456789

I have be plagued with automatic movement problems and am now considering a Quartz version with Mineral Crystal as an inexpensive reliable alternative. Some of the higher end Reps makers are now offering a Quartz version with the the same case and bracelet/ strap as the higher end but replacing the automovement with a quartz movement and sometimes replacing the saphire glass with a mineral crystal and making the rep 1/2 price. If I choose the 14 day shipping it is free. The Reps in question are the Oris Coste and the Graham Chronofighter. I don't care if the second hand is not smooth moving like on a 28 K beat watch. I want it to be reliable and I like the fact I don't have to wind it. ANy comments ?

Edited by steve12345

Go for it. The quartz version will not only save you money immediately, but will also prove to be more reliable, accurate time keeping, and less costs in maintenance. If the movement craps out, just get a replacement which are dirt cheap. With the A7750, you are going to have expensive servicing costs, and thats if you can find a watchmaker who has the skill to be able to service it.

The movement issues are true...a quartz will be lower maintenance and more reliable...but lacks that "something"that comes with a mechanical movement.

Be careful with the specific watch though, as the dealers usually say "same"or "similar" to the high end rep, and if you look closely will often find they are not close at all...subdial spacing, hands, crystal, etc...don't trust what the dealer says, do a close comparison yourself.

I took the pluge or "one for the team". I ordered a Qyuartz Oris Costa. Same case and strap as the 7750 model but I got the quartz and mineral crystal version for $ 118 delivered. I feel it is worth the risk. They are now selling 3 quartz versions of the Coste. The 1st is similar tot he one you see in the 7750. I noticed the Day of week never lines up with the date etc and doesn't look right. I went for the model with just the date (less parts to fail). I will post a review of the watch etc. To get the cheap price I have to wait about 15 days from today for the watch but I have so many watches it really doesn't matter and I don't want to spend $ 30 for shipping a $ 100 watch. I just hope it is not DOA. They also sell the Graham Chronofighter (not diver) whcih has the same case /strap and the 7750 model $ 300 but it is about $ 48 delivered to your door with tracking # etc. I can get both watches for about the price of one 7750 and the reliability should be better. The only bad thing is the mineral crystal. I really like the Saphire .

I have be plagued with automatic movement problems and am now considering a Quartz version with Mineral Crystal as an inexpensive reliable alternative. Some of the higher end Reps makers are now offering a Quartz version with the the same case and bracelet/ strap as the higher end but replacing the automovement with a quartz movement and sometimes replacing the saphire glass with a mineral crystal and making the rep 1/2 price. If I choose the 14 day shipping it is free. The Reps in question are the Oris Coste and the Graham Chronofighter. I don't care if the second hand is not smooth moving like on a 28 K beat watch. I want it to be reliable and I like the fact I don't have to wind it. ANy comments ?

I have a quartz AP ROO, which is a stunning looking watch and looks like real quality. Cost me under $100 and certainly beats the hell out of worrying about 7750 secs@12 problems. I still like my automatics, but quartz is very tempting for some of the more complex chronos...

sub dial spacing is almost always too close-set if quartz movement.

When watch is without chrono then quartz is quite ok, and if you can live with non sweeping second hand then why not. :)

Yeah, but when watch is without chronos, a 21J will do nicely. Chronos are where quartz reps make sense imho.

May I ask which dealer you are getting this from?

I have 3 quartz chronos, also with the expensive casework and bracelets/straps, I got from various dealers on cqout and ioffer.

I'm very satisfied with them, amazing watches fro the price.

I ordered mine from www.watcheden.com. They are a new dealer on probation at another watch collecting forum. I have nto recived the watch. I expect it in about 15 days from now (to get the free shipping). I want to wear it for 5 days and then write a review with pic.

Steve

Is that Double Secret or Regular probation?

I ordered mine from www.watcheden.com. They are a new dealer on probation at another watch collecting forum. I have nto recived the watch. I expect it in about 15 days from now (to get the free shipping). I want to wear it for 5 days and then write a review with pic.

Steve

This watcheden have same layout and pictures of rolex2u.com. Made some research here and there to know more about them. Although isn

The owner of the site has two sites. He has lower prices on the Watch Eden $ 20 coupon code on the front web page to watch Eden. The Mods said he is Ok but still on probation. He and the Watchstation" are the only ones selling decnt reps in quartz. many have saphire crystal and the same case / strap as the 7750 for 1/2 or even 1/3 the price. depens on model. I will post a review of the transaction on 18 days or so.

steve

That's tonyxkf, used to deal on cqout, I've bought 6 or 7 very nice watches from him, no problems whatsoever.

Technically he doesn't know much about what he sells unfortunately, I wouln't buy high end stuff from him but his inexpensive pieces are quite decent.