When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob crown feel

eagle_lex

I am probably getting a modded Noob sub soon and while i know the crown is larger than gen.... i was

wondering how the action felt. is it smooth or rough feeling. can anyone give me a comparison between

the noob crown and the way the gen feels?

other then a replacement crown being smaller in physical size, would a replacement crown be more more smooth?

thanks!

In what sense? Winding? Threading down on the tube? Or the actual crown itself?

Winding is going to be largely dependent on the movement you have.

Threading the crown to the tube; well, there isn't anything that beats gen in that sense. A genuine crown and tube has a very disctinct feel; very solid, and buttery smooth with tight tolerance.

The actual crown itself has some sharp teeth; this characteristic is likely to be less of a 'feel' issue, but more of a visual difference, however.

Sometimes I'm amazed what kind of questions people come up with.

Not that there's anything wrong with this question, but I wonder what makes people think that genuine Rolexes are so different from the reps... in things like this. It's just a damn stainless steel screw down crown, not larger than life or anything. Some rep crowns are smoother, some are less smooth. Gens are usually smooth, but excessive use and wear can change that. But it's not a big deal, either way.

Just relax... and if you can't relax wearing a rep... get the gen... or avoid Rolex. :)

by-tor,

lol i love ya buddy! i know its a silly type question but one that i thought you knowledgable guys could help me with.

i obviously dont have a large amount of hands on experience with gens. i have two rolex gen subs and a rep gmt that either

has just a real bad crown or maybe its how all the reps feel. i dont know, so thats what prompted the question. the noob sub im

getting can come with the original crown or i can have a BK crown installed and i just didnt know if the cost of the BK crown would be worth it.

make more sense? maybe, or at least i hope so.

ubiquitous,

i was speaking of the screw down itself.

sorry for the silly questions.. just trying to get some insight as i dont have a large amount of hands on references to go by.

thanks again!

Nothing wrong with the question man, I just meant it's not really worth stressing about. :) I have handled gens that don't feel smooth at all (some vintage watches), but yes... all new gens have very smoothly operating crown. On the reps it's luck of a draw, really. But I have some very smoothly operating rep crowns.

I think the smaller crown that BK offers is worth it, because the default crown on the Noobmariner looks really stupid (it's grossly oversized). Go for it!

thanks by-tor. i know you definately know your STUFF! i truely appreciate all your help.

im probably not one that is going to collect a ton of reps as i am probably overly picky. kobe beef taste on a hot dog budget! lol

love my gens but i feel quilty wearing them and beating them around... so i just sit them on the dresseer and look at them. silly really.

im like most i guess i want a sub that is gen like and not have to spend the outragous price a gen demands. im hoping that my solution is a modified rep from you guys here who know the simple mods that make a big difference. plus its nice to have a watch that you can say has had some special attention put into it. i cant say enough about you, BK and jackjo to name a very limited few. thanks again.