When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Explorer II swap question

Timepiece

I got my Tag Link GMT back from Jakub one month ago just before my holidays.

At that time I fell in love with the Vintage 'Mc Queen' 1655 Explorer II. Also inflamed by Stephane's post on information for his project.

A bit bored with my Sub, I now consider selling the Tag and Sub and start a (limited modding) 1655 project.

It would replace those two for me by combining the looks and GMT function.

Now reading this alarming article on 2836-2 movements from The Zigmeister I wonder if I would have to hang-on to the Tag GMT and swap the swiss ETA 2836 movement with the 2836-2 movements the reps are shipped with these days.

Any good advise from the experts if this would fly? :unsure:

P.s. not really for this subforum but here are some pics of the really improved look of the Tag Link GMT: :animal_rooster:

IMG_5535.jpg

IMG_5534.jpg

Once again, Ziggy's article only dealt with the correct hand stack modification, not the movement. Ask from ANY veteran members how many problems they have had with their ETA GMT wrong hand stack modifications, and I bet you can't find many.

This is one of the myths that simply doesn't go away, does it? It's the correct hand stack unnatural modification that causes the problems, not ETA 2836-2 wrong hand stack version, which only has ONE extra gear to move the GMT hand.

Just like the seconds at '6 7750 unnatural modification is problematic... the standard new 7750 is at least a "semi-decent" movement.

The Asian WHS movement in the new ceramic CHS has a bad reputation. But that has nothing to do with the good old WHS ETA 2836-2. But of course, we can't be 100% sure that the dealers are actually shipping genuine ETAs anymore. The old ones were good, that much is certain. My new GMT IIc winds like a genuine ETA and sounds like one... and works like one (i.e perfectly). :)

PS: Very nice Link btw. Wanna write a review of if for the TAG Guide?

Thanks man. I love it... I need another Link too. :)

PS: Your GMT hand has been set wrong. It points at circa: 15:04 (3:04 pm) when the local time is 1:53. On the WHS it's not automatically in sync but you have to set it manually. :D

IMG_5535.jpg

Thanks man. I love it... I need another Link too. :)

PS: Your GMT hand has been set wrong. It points at circa: 15:04 (3:04 pm) when the local time is 1:53.

IMG_5535.jpg

Noticed the unscrewed crown too ? ;)

I tried to make a nice picture with hands spread over the dial w/o blocking any text.

After taking the pics it put it straight back to the correct setting for my geographical location.

Aware of the senior 'eagle eyed' members I did consider staging a realistic hands set one moment.

...now I wish I did... :p