When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Glass press

docdoc

Hello,

I wonder what would be the best choice for a watch press between this two. The one with the manual winding or the more automatic one? I would like to remove the glasses of my 42+ mm watches, so I guess I will need to add an extra set of large dies.

2870660254_3b168a12f6_o.jpg

2869830615_d23713d04e_o.jpg

Edited by docdoc

I use the bottom type as well.

One thing that I notice in the pictures above is that the screw press comes with flat dies, while the other press comes with both flat and concave dies. Most of the crystals that I've worked with have been domed, and the concave dies have allowed me to apply even pressure to the edge. (The flat dies are great to use on the back of the watch, as the base.) Concave dies may also be used to press bezels in place.

I use the bottom type as well.

One thing that I notice in the pictures above is that the screw press comes with flat dies, while the other press comes with both flat and concave dies. Most of the crystals that I've worked with have been domed, and the concave dies have allowed me to apply even pressure to the edge. (The flat dies are great to use on the back of the watch, as the base.) Concave dies may also be used to press bezels in place.

Good to know

I have both presses & each has benefits & liabilities.

The screw press offers more control & opens wider (which is important when using it with large watches and/or large dies), but the included dies are limited as per Avitt's comments. I usually use the dies from the levered press as well as some additional Bergeon dies I purchased separately. Also, because the screw that the dies attach to is coarsely threaded, the press's jaws do not compress evenly (I press a bit, rotate the work 180 degrees, press a bit more, rotate, press, rotate..........until the job is done - I have bent more than 1 bezel using this tool).

The levered press is much easier to use, but the jaws do not open as wide, which means I sometimes have to use another press that provides more space. This press, too, exerts uneven pressure on the die.

My favorite press is a hobby vise I bought at Sears for $32. I also got an optional set of rubber jaw liners to keep the vise from marring the work surface. More than enough space to fit the largest of watches & dies, offers a very fine screw adjustment & provides perfectly even pressure. Oh & you can also use it as a vise to hold things steady while working on them (it was indispensable during the 6542 project).