When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to remove crystal on blackbird?

tazzman

Hey all..

I need to remove the crystal on my blackbird since it stopped working a while ago.

I was about to send it to Jakub so he could fix it in my next batch to him, but as we dont know where that is going I will do it myself.

I will get a new blackbird and swap my AR'd crystal to the new watch, but how do you remove it?

I have not done any mods myself earlier except changing straps ;) so..

is it easy or hard?

What tools do I need??

Here is my love, I cant let it sit in the watchbox any longer!!

blackbird2.jpg

blackbird3.jpg

blackbird4.jpg

blackbird5.jpg

blackbird6.jpg

Please assist me,

thanks!

- Tazz

Not sure if you've done a movt swap before, but....

If you havent removed a movt before, you're likely to damage this watch....

ok... this is what I do - but I dont take responsiblity for anything going wrong!

1) Remove bracelet, or at least split at the clasp.

2) Use Bergeon rubber case opener or "Sticky Ball" to remove caseback

3) remove 3 screws and tabs from movt ring (to case)

4) remove winding stem by LIGHTLY pressing stem release button - the only button shaped thing near the stem - less than 1mm diam.

5) with one hand covering the loose movt, turn case over and withdraw movt - taking care not to foul the dial on the chrono pusher rods

6) remove the 4 rider tabs (screwed) - these could be very tight so use a good quality screwdriver, and dont stab yourself or the watch when it slips! lol

7) Use Crystal Press to remove crystal - some crystals are loose enough to be pushed out by hand but getting it back in can be tricky. Hence the crystal press

8) Refit everything in reverse order!

HTH

to be honest with you - I wouldn't advise that you do this if its your first time. It takes practice

and many mistakes to learn to know what you're doing.

Edited by Importr

damnit.

Chief's in US, right?

Then I have to deal with customer-risk everytime I send to him?

Or how safe is it from europe to US, maybe no problem if I let him do the crystal-in-out also?

- tazz

There shouldn't be any problems EU to US and back. He now offers crystal removal but you will have to remove the pearl tab and the other 3 tabs. Just unscrew them and SAFELY store them, especially the little screws. DO NOT try to remove the bezel. Leave all those other screws on the bezel alone. Just make sure they are tight.