When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Free Strap Conversion Kit Already In The APROO Bracelet?

I'm looking at the stainless steel bracelet in my Royal Oak Offshore and, looking at the endlinks, I think it may be possible to make a free strap conversion kit, though it would require destroying the bracelet. If you take a close look at how the stainless steel bracelet is made, I think it may be possible to make a strap conversion kit out of it. If you look at the first link at the endlinks, you can see how a rod passes through them, cut at the ends, sanded off at the edges, buffed and brush-finished. I bet that there is some epoxy holding that rod in there, and a micro torch will certainly loosen it. Once heated from both ends, perhaps a pusher tool can force the rod out. The endlinks will be free, and with the rod you now have a free strap conversion kit. Does anyone here have a throw-away bracelet to experiment?

I believe Paul (watcher) did it with his MBK/MBW ROO like 2 years ago to attach rubber strap.

I remember he wrote that he needed to cannibalize the bracelet to have it done- but it turns out it is possible.

Thanks!

I believe Paul (watcher) did it with his MBK/MBW ROO like 2 years ago to attach rubber strap.

I remember he wrote that he needed to cannibalize the bracelet to have it done- but it turns out it is possible.

Thanks!

yes...it is possible....I believe some1 took a hacksaw to their bracelet to remove the endlinks.

Another option would be to buy puretime's rubber bracelet which also comes with endlinks for 90...if this is the sec at 12 rubber, then that is a decent deal.

GL with the operation.

I'm already determined to get rid of the metal bracelet, because it is already starting to break. (One of the pins securing the clasp cap already fell off, so it hangs diagonally when unfastened; perhaps it would be better to try and sell the bracelet here or on another forum.) In retrospect, I should have ordered the AP ROO with the rubber strap so I could get the clasp as well. If the first link is hollow, a hack saw or a bolt cutter should do the trick, but the key is to cut it without breaking the rod.

King sells the rubber strap and clasp for $70, and I believe the strap comes with the end links.

The endlinks are no problem, whether or not you have the stainless-steel bracelet or rubber strap. The problem is the rod that passes through the endlinks. The endlinks have two sets of holes, one set to connect to the watch case via four rods. The concern is about the second rods that pass through the other end of the endlinks, onto which you attach the strap. Does the strap fit on the external rod perfectly, and does the strap fit on the external link such that there are no gaps between the endlinks and the strap slots?

The endlinks are no problem, whether or not you have the stainless-steel bracelet or rubber strap. The problem is the rod that passes through the endlinks. The endlinks have two sets of holes, one set to connect to the watch case via four rods. The concern is about the second rods that pass through the other end of the endlinks, onto which you attach the strap. Does the strap fit on the external rod perfectly, and does the strap fit on the external link such that there are no gaps between the endlinks and the strap slots?

I bought the rubber strap from Angus at Puretime. It comes with the end links and connecting screws separate. You can easily connect them to the rubber stap and then to the watch, or simply use the end links on a hornback, or what have you. The folding clasp can also easily be removed from the rubber strap and used on another bans. For $90 it's a good deal.

Just a little FYI, only rep straps will fit the rep endlinks. I had to get the www.apbands.com kit to use a gen or strap designed for gen. The holes in the enlinks are too close to the case in the rep links.

Dude, then I'm hosed. Well I bought King's rubber strap ($70) and it's on the way here. If the endlinks won't jive, I just might as well order a strap and endlinks from AP Bands. At least with King's rubber strap I have the rep AP clasp. AP Bands do not sell rep AP clasps.

Might as well go all out. Get a hornback crocodile strap for $350 as well as the conversion kit, which costs an additional $180. Those cost more than the watch itself, which I bought from King for $490. Pretty damn expensive hobby here.