When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How's This For An Idea For A Moonwatch

crystalcranium

The venus copy/display case back Moonwatch sold by many of our dealers here is a highly praised piece for beauty and movement quality.....but oh that 6 o'clock dial.....

The dial just kills it for me. If it's functioning, it's a dead giveaway. If it's frozen, an addition of $40 + shipping to your purchase price as modified by one of our finest here, it's non-functioning.

I'd love to put a closed case back on these, properly engraved. The display case back model is very rare. A closed case version is much more believeable. And let's put a 3,6,9 subdial modified 7750 into these like the Broad Arrow versions. Then we would have 3 functional subdials. As for the hand wind movement, except for shaking it, who's going to know its an automatic and you can always hand wind it in front of anyone you need to impress. If our obsessive side needs to be addressed, our vendors can always remove the rotor and sell them as "modified 7750 movement to manual hand wind only function".

I'd love to put a closed case back on these, properly engraved. The display case back model is very rare. A closed case version is much more believeable. And let's put a 3,6,9 subdial modified 7750 into these like the Broad Arrow versions. Then we would have 3 functional subdials.

The version with a closed caseback is actually the real MoonWatch and it doesn't use Sapphire. The version with Sapphire front and back is the fancy one.

You would need to remove the rotor anyway, for height issues, so I don't see the manual wind being an issue. :D

Great idea, but the subdials would, like on the current Venus one, still be wrong.

The version with a closed caseback is actually the real MoonWatch and it doesn't use Sapphire. The version with Sapphire front and back is the fancy one.

You would need to remove the rotor anyway, for height issues, so I don't see the manual wind being an issue. :D

Great idea, but the subdials would, like on the current Venus one, still be wrong.

Correct about the subdial issue, this would not correct the lingering inherent problem with putting a 7750 into these replicas, but at least they would all function. I would love a plastic crystal version of this watch true to the original as well.

I wonder if it is possible to gear up the 7750 to move the dials to the accurate position for the entire Speedmaster line. I guess there is no incentive to do such a re engineering of the movement for such a limited number of replicas. Just a fantasy. But I think a closed case back, fully functional chronograph, plastic crystal, manual wind only Moonwatch replica wouldn't be such a stretch for existing replica production.

Edited by crystalcranium

I wonder if it is possible to gear uo the 7750 to move the dials to the accurate position for the entire Speedmaster line.

If they've not managed it for the much-demanded Daytona, I doubt they'd do it for a low-volume baby like this.

If they've not managed it for the much-demanded Daytona, I doubt they'd do it for a low-volume baby like this.

You're probably right but the Daytona dial shuffle is much more complex than this would be. It would just be a slight offset for the 6 and 9 o'clock dials and the 3 o'clock dial is already being moved 1/4 of the way around the dial already.