When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some gen pics....

asiparks

So I find myself in the oddly fortunate position of having a couple of gen IWC's kicking around at the mo...I've had a couple of the rep 06 cousteau's and they really sold me on the styling....

I had my heart set on a Split Minute Aquatimer and found one on ebay that had "make an offer" on it. So I did, but didn't get it :mellow:

then i bid on a bnib stainless Aquatimer with a bracelet and a rubber strap...which I won... :1a:

So then of course the guy with the Split Minute comes back at me with a great offer :bangin: so.....I'm only going to keep one of them and I don't know which

here's a bunch of fairly average pics....

both of them ....

IMG_7686.jpg

the "Slevin"

IMG_7679.jpg

IMG_7635.jpg

IMG_7634.jpg

very elegant for a sports watch, the indices sparkle expensively and it feels much dressier than the Split.

But...could I just get this as a rep and feel 95% as happy ? ( and many $$$ better off ?)

The rep looks really good, nice case, well executed bracelet and an excellent dial...

Well, the mechanical quality of this feels waaaaaay way above that of the Cousteau, The chrono pushers are crisp, everything lines up perfectly, the inner bezel clicks round with crispness, as I suppose they all should do. Then there's the way the lume is applied next to the indices, neat little rectangles, whereas on the rep, it's rather blobby looking, but have a lume job and sub in some eta datewheels from Cousins and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference....

the split minute...

IMG_7672.jpg

_MG_4676.jpg

IMG_7674.jpg

this 2 mm bigger and a fair bit thicker than the slevin, it' about the same size as the Cousteau.

IMG_7657.jpg

the finish is very fine blasted titanium. it's very grey, much darker in person then it appears in the pics

IMG_7621.jpg

here it is next to my SMP ti chrono for size comparison.

IMG_7651.jpg

IMG_7653.jpg

I hope the ti finish is better than that of the Omega, which gets scratched to crap by the merest featheriest brush of a baby bunnies tail...

IMG_7642.jpg

not inpressed by that. At all.

IMG_7672.jpg

Here it is showing the split minute feature (the 1/2 yellow hand at 9 minutes)

there's a rocker switch at 7 that locks a secondary minute hand, normally hidden behind the main minute hand, in place, giving a very easy to read, elapsed minute count. Press the "off" side of he rocker and it disappears back behind the main minute hand.

IMG_7676.jpg

Now this is clearly a very sporting watch, only slightly more elegant than strapping a short length of 2X4 to ones wrist. But it does look rather balls out good. The dark grey, black and white with the pop of vivid yellow looks as cool as something you'd use in a metaphor. And the snobby part of me is quite happy that it's not been repped (yet).

but I'm torn...classic elegance or throbbing utility ?? which to keep, which to say good by to ?

a couple of quick wristies (which actually means something rude where I come from)

IMG_7694.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg

Both have all the boxes and papers and bracelet tools, but the Split comes in an extra stupidly lovely box with a well tasty hardbacked instruction manual...

what say y' all?

oh and if anyone ones a pic of something specific, let me know...

Edited by asiparks

Noob opinion: get the split.

1. The split is likely to call for more attention, so a gen would be a good idea

2. There are decent slevin reps out there - so the 95% of happiness at 10% of the price argument kicks in.

3. No split reps (that I know of), so if you like it, the gen is your only option.

4. Most importantly, your post shows a clear preference towards the split anyway!

Noob opinion: get the split.

1. The split is likely to call for more attention, so a gen would be a good idea

2. There are decent slevin reps out there - so the 95% of happiness at 10% of the price argument kicks in.

3. No split reps (that I know of), so if you like it, the gen is your only option.

4. Most importantly, your post shows a clear preference towards the split anyway!

Noob got game! I agree fully...especially with the Slevin being pretty good visually (obviously not functionally...but hey, how often do you need to adjust your bezel?), the split being something that can't be had with a rep...go for the latter for sure!

BTW...great little set with the Ti SMP chrono! That does suck about the easy scratching.

• 2 months later...