When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

compliment on the ingy from a dealer

kingkaiser

So I go to this store yesterday to buy some accessories. This store is the authorized dealer for Mont Blanc, Glasshutte Original, Blanc Pain, and Omega amongst others (ie: they know watches). At some point, the salesperson I'm speaking to stops with his pitch, looks at my wrist and says in a thick Indian accent:

"Sir, your watch is beautiful and it is very sexy." (which actually almost made me laugh, since I cant think of too many instances where a mustachioed man stopped and called something on my wrist "sexy")

Now while this wasnt the AD for IWC, its still a testament to the quality of this rep that even people who see gorgeous watches day-in-day-out stop a well rehearsed pitch to comment on it (or see it as good enough to praise my taste in hopes of endearing themselves to me and making a sale).

Alternatively, he saw it was a fake and was subtly calling me out. Doubt it though, since he wasnt close enough to see the datefont or the error on the caseback.

Was he gay.

Just be carefull *rule 25*

Doesnt rule 25 require intent to deceive the AD or telling them its real? The guy wasnt an IWC dealer (I went in to buy leather goods; it just happens that this store also deals with watches), and after the comment I just said "thank you" and said nothing more about it...certainly didnt try to see if I could fool him or anything....

However, if this does breach rule 25, mods please feel free to delete.

That is why i said be carefull, There would be nothing worse than getting called out in such a situation, I know you did not go in there showing it off but it is generaly best not to take a rep into an AD full stop. A new member may read this and think that he could get away with it, A bit like taking the guard dogs food from under its nose. The thrill ect. Best not to risk it the bite may hurt.

That is why i said be carefull, There would be nothing worse than getting called out in such a situation, I know you did not go in there showing it off but it is generaly best not to take a rep into an AD full stop. A new member may read this and think that he could get away with it, A bit like taking the guard dogs food from under its nose. The thrill ect. Best not to risk it the bite may hurt.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, and why it's a bad idea to go into watch stores with my new baby on my wrist. it would actually have been really bad if I was called out yesterday since I was there with a girl....not that I need to worry about dates anymore, clearly....

The Ingy is a great rep but I am convinced that the last person who is going to call you out is an AD. You are a potential customer and represent possible income to the person. I also think he was trying to pick you up. :lol: Employees at AD's come in all forms from true horological freaks to folks who are just glad to have a job. And no, I am not in favor of parading around reps in AD's but if you are walking into a store anyhow it is always your call whether you want to slide the rep off your wrist before entering. In KK's case that probably was not an option if walking into a store with a date who doesn't know about your rep obsession. Nothing wrong with this post but for any NOOB reading this thread please do not read it as suggesting that trying to fool an AD is a good thing. You will never know whether you are actually fooling them and it is possible to end up in an embarassing situation.