When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

newbie & green

web

hello there - I am very new to rep market and anxious to learn.

all these AR and ETA acronyms are like 'chinese' to me - pun intended.

I am mostly looking for a nice watch to wear myself - IWC Portugese? - might be a good candidate - although I do not know where would be a good place to get it from...

so - now on to reading FAQ's and such.

reporting on my progress... :)

so I looked at dealer's reviews and it seems like trusty Andrew is looking good.

I checked his inventory and selected a few watches I like (visual appeal only) + put it all in my google notebook for easy comparison :)

now the next step - find out which movement is the best choice for me:

• Asian Automatic 21J
  • Lemania Hand Wind Working Chronograph
  • Asia Copy Venus 75 Manual Hand Wind
  • Jap. Miyota Automatic 21J
  • Swiss ETA Movement 2836-2 (25J)
  • Swiss Quartz (Lunar Calender) Movement
  • Miyota Jap Automatic 21J +++ with WORKING POWER RESERVE

when I am comfortable with a movement lingo I'll make the next step.

am I on a right track for a newb?

----

also - I found a following advice - it might be a too sophisticated for my level :)

After 5 years in this game here is the best bang for the buck. Buy a rep that has the SAM case and strap/bracelet as the 7750 version but has the quartx movement inside and usually minera crystal for 1/3 to 1/2 price and get the shipping included. I have delt with www.watcheden.com and got the Oris Carlos Coste for $ 118 delivered . I am about to order the Graham Chronofighter in quartz for a bit more. The guy has $ 20 off coupon on the fron page. Don't pay $ 35 EMS for a $ 100 Rep. IF you don't like this Dealer do the same with others. Make sure the Rep has the same case and Strap as the 7750 and then go quartz.

is it a valid statement?

type of watches I like...

2v.jpg

glashutte-original-senator-automatic-moonphase-with-white-dial-watch--11293--1.jpg

jaeger-lecoultre-master-moonphase-automatic-with-white-dial-watch--12579--2v.jpg

longines-olympics-working-chronograph-with-white-dial-watch--20088--1v.jpg

Welcome aboard...and I like how you're posting your progression of knowledge gain!

You're on the right track...and there is SOME truth to what the "go quartz" post said. Here are some challenges you will find:

• There are few "super" reps of the types of watches you look interested in
  • Super Rep = EXTREMELY accurate
  • Although collectors will say their Quartz versions use a "similar" case, or are "from the same factory"...the quartz models are 9 times out of 10 quite inferior (in terms of accuracy)...bad dials, bad casebacks...sub-dial spacing...you really have to research and compare the pics closely to the gen to make sure you're getting what you want
  • Functional accuracy is lacking on moon phases

What this means is, you can still get a fantastic looking watch of decent quality for a great price (just over $100), but you won't get the latest generation of extremely accurate to gen watches for the same price. It all depends on what your priorities are. If you just want a great looking watch...go quartz, and buy what fancies you.

If you want something that is almost indistinguisable from a gen...you'll have to spend more...sometimes a lot more.

BTW...have never heard of watcheden before...don't know if anybody around here has...so buyer beware...you're on your own on this one.

BTW...have never heard of watcheden before...don't know if anybody around here has...so buyer beware...you're on your own on this one.

Watcheden is Tonyxkf's new site. He's a recommended dealer over on RWI - been around for years. Pretty reliable IME.