When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planned project

TeeJay

Teejay please show us the trick how to remove a caseback with your thumbs :rolleyes:

Carpe Diem

Cats

Bro, all you need is a pair of snug fitting rubber dish-washing gloves. The ones I used were a bit loose, so were able to move about between the pad of my thumbs and the caseback too much, but, they got the job done in the end ^_^

I was just joking Teejay.

A serious question now. Do you get the caseback water resistent if it's closed without a caseback tool ??

Carpe Diem

Cats

Sorry bro, tone can be hard to determine sometimes in text :lol:

Indeed, getting water resistance hasn't been a problem with the 'glove method'. I admit, you will have to screw the case round so tight that when it stops rotating into place, you will think you're about to feel the pads of your thumbs seperating from your thumbnails, but, that should be sufficient. When I went to Spain last year, I was wearing my recently serviced 111h with the caseback from my 029a, which, while away, I removed and re-closed using gloves, and there wasn't a hint of fogging or condensation while bathing or swimming. More recently, my new 210 fogged up when I first put it in water, but, I then realized the caseback wasn't closed as securely as it could've been, so, I stripped it down, dried out the case, rebuilt it, closed the case, but when I put it under water again, the condensation returned. That was when I realized that I hadn't actually done anything to the movement, so that could still have had condensation in it. I stripped the watch down again, then left the parts to dry on a window sill all afternoon. I rebuilt the watch, put it in water again, and no problem whatsoever :)

I think as long as you can get enough pressure on the caseback, it's a viable method, but, as mentioned before, to get enough pressure on that 'final turn', you will feel like you're about to lose your nails :lol:

At the moment, my thumbs are just sore. Had I removed and replaced another caseback, they would definitely have blistered, but that's not normally a problem when going through the process a single time :good: