When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can someone please recommend me a Dremel tool/Rotary tool for polishing etc.

DemonSlayer

It's about time I got one of these. I've got several watch bands which could do with some polishing up. I did a search on ebay, there are thousands of these available for sale. I am a complete newbie when it comes to these things, I've never owned one or used one before, so I have no idea what I should be looking for.

I'm sure that several members here own one, or have used one. If so, could any of you please recommend me a particular model that both works well, is easy to get replacement parts (buffing wheels etc) and good value for money.

Many thanks in advance.

The tool doesn't matter...the compound to select makes more of a difference. You could pick up a Costco basic rotary tool kit for about $30, and buy better polishing compound to use with the felt polishing bits and you should be good to go.

The better sets have better motors, finer speed control, etc...which is useful if you plan on using it for other things. Canadian Tire in Canada makes one that regularly goes on sale for $79 for a HUGE kit with a lot of attachments.

OH...for the most part, the accessories generally are a universal 1/8" or 1/4" shank size. You could actually use 1/4" router bits in them too.

@DS,

I have had a couple, including a Dremel kit.

This one with variable speed @ A$35 has given good service.post-13-1224010190_thumb.jpg

All work OK and seem to last proportionally to the price paid!

Whilst I can't recommend it yet, as I am still waiting for it's arrival, my recent purchase, at under A$100, is hopefully a more workable system. The one thing which becomes annoying with Dremel style tools, is the time spent changing heads, and this may alleviate some (not all) of that.post-13-1224010156_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps.

Offshore

Thanks Toad for your many helpful replies. The primary use for the tool will be for polishing. Of course if it does other odd jobs around the house that would be an added bonus, but for the time being I will be using it for polishing.

And I know what you mean about the compound being important. I've used several polishing pastes, Brasso wadding and these did polish, certainly made them more shiny, but they actually created more tiny scratches, the hairline 'swirls' that can be seen in light.

Offshore, thanks for the help, a bench grinder type tool is also something I am considering.

@DS,

When I finally get my mini buffer/grinder, I will get a suitable tapered spindle to attach to it, to quickly facilitate fitting varios polishing mops

.http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/tbs.html

Probably not one of these, there are others with more pronounced steps available, but hopefully you get the idea.

The strong point for that mini bench grinder, is that it is variable speed, and has the hand dremel style fitting on the right hand side, so it's 2 tools in one.

Offshore