When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opening PP Jumbo Nautilus

pcfreeman2

Hello -

I have a PP Jumbo Nautilus, and I got it open to look at the movement ... and check if it is ETA or clone. At any rate, I got it open. But since it opens from the dial side, I am having some trouble getting the stem to disconnect.

I am desperately trying to get a peek at the "business" end of the movement. I love this watch, and any advice is appreciated.

Ubi thanks for the quick response.

I got it out and for those interested, here is where the release is.

IMG_1359.jpg

I can't imagine how you get to it without breaking the stem :( Anyone have any advice where I can get a new one, and which one I should get?

IMG_1360.jpg

And while we are at it, can anyone help me identify my movement? Swiss or Asian that is the question :)

IMG_1356.jpg

Also, I understand this is more accurate with the seconds hand removed. True? I hope so, because it fell off. ;)

IMG_1358.jpg

At any rate I am having a blast.

1) I may have a spare stem. I'll need to look. I've been giving parts away lately and may be down in inventory (so no promises)...

2) As for the movement; if you can post a pic of it sans rotor, it may be easier to ascertain. Additionally, you may want to have a look in Eurotimez' section as he has a quick at a glance guide for determining Swiss or Asian origin of movements.

3) This particular watch is a bit of a mix between the Nautilus 3700/A and the 3711/G. The 3700/A is the original SS Jumbo, 42mm in diameter, thin markers, no seconds hand, etc. The 3711/G is a 42mm WG Nautilus, thicker markers (more similar to the 5711), seconds hand, etc.

Since it's not accurate in detail to either in particular, the presence or lack of seconds hand really shouldn't matter :)

Just my opinion. Still a fantastic watch!

Cheers,

R

So you take the hands and dial off, and then there is a release under that ... near the datewheel?

Yes- That is correct.

Alright, I took the dial and the datewheel off and I still can't find the release. I could use some help finding it in this picture:

IMG_1368.jpg

I must have it wrong, but I am looking for it over here somewhere:

IMG_1367.jpg

I may have a spare stem. I'll need to look. I've been giving parts away lately and may be down in inventory (so no promises)...

I appreciate the generous offer to look. Even if you can point me in the right direction would be a big help. I went to ofrei, but I am not sure what I need (there seem to be a lot of extenders) or whether I must by 30+ of them at once.

As for the movement; if you can post a pic of it sans rotor, it may be easier to ascertain. Additionally, you may want to have a look in Eurotimez' section as he has a quick at a glance guide for determining Swiss or Asian origin of movements.

I checked out Eurotimez' post, and I think based on the number of holes in the gears that the movement looks genuine. :D But I would appreciate any other opinions.

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

Aside from my fingers smelling like finger cot, this has been a lot of fun. Thanks for all the help!

I don’t know if yours it’s a gen so I found a gen pic to compare. Comparing the dial side with the gen, yours looks pretty dirty and banged up… I don’t know if that it’s normal since I’m not watchsmith, there also some others differences that you could see.

eta2824drgu6.jpg

Edited by emuozz