When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Speedy Pro lost hours, chrono problems

whitestripes

I know this isn't about a rep, but it's my favorite gen and we all love watches here, rep or not, and I need help.

I've had my second-hand Speedy Pro for a year now, no major problems. This morning, I picked it up around 7 am and noticed it said 4am! I thought, hey, maybe I forgot to wind it. Then I noticed the small seconds were running. I wound it and it didn't take the usual number of winds to get to full. Something was fishy.

So I set it to the correct time track more carefully. After an hour, it lost a couple of minutes! I am starting to get very, very worried.

I opened the case back to take a peek, and I noticed the balance wheel was moving surprisingly slowly (as compared to my Seiko display back's balance wheel). I hacked it and let it go again, and it sped up to normal speed. Worrisome.

So I decided to test the chronograph, because if the drive train is having a hard time driving the regular time keeping, then the added strain of the chrono should really signal problems. I run the chrono vs. a digital chrono. I noticed that the chrono seconds hand will stop sometimes, and it will resume with a quick shake. That happened a couple of times, enough for me to call my local watchmaker (who has dealt with a stuck hour totalizer in the past, I trust him). He's not in today.

Right now I'm running the chrono, and I'll probably run it for the next 12 hours or so to monitor the progress. Surprisingly, it's gone 30 minutes of timing spot on with my ipod. So when it's running, it will do it well. But sometimes, it gets stuck. What are some possible reasons for the drivetrain to get "stuck?" I don't know the service history, but I've had it a year.

I don't want to spend $90 (what the hour totalizer fix cost) to fix this intermittant problem, but if it's not keeping time (to at least the hour) it's useless as a watch. Even if it keeps time most of the time, what's the point if I have to verify it with my cell phone?

How much does a full service from an independent watchmaker run? The case is in excellent condition and I think I can wait another 5 years before I send it to the Omega spa for a case refinishing. I just want the movement brought up to perfect, clean, and oiled running condition. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have tried Novina fine jewelers (Omega AD) in Lafayette, he was very professional and did the job well. How much does an avg servicing cost? How long should it take? The time frame is important because this is my only Swiss watch and by far my favorite. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for your help guys

UPDATE: seems to have more trouble on its side then dial up.