When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 7016/0 update...more head scratching...

Justasgood

Well, I just returned from my watchmaker. I picked up a new Gen 702 crown and he is trying to locate a 702 tube. I can now say without a doubt that the crown on my watch is not gen. As pointed out the Gen crown shows the cap seams under the crown and the crown on the watch is a solid piece. That being said, the rep crown looks damn good as is. Movement has great amplitude and has been regulated to +3secs/day.

I have noticed that the Gen 25-19 crystal fits the case well, but the retention ring isn't as snug to it as the MBW was. Also, upon closer inspection, I have my doubts about the movement. With the exception of the winding bridge all the other surfaces including the main plate looks freshly milled. Heck the ETA cloud stamp is barely visible. I can't imagine that someone would mill down existing plate just to make them shiny.

On the bright side, my watchmaker is convinced the dial is Gen (I don't) and he was very impressed with the overall quality of the case and bezel.

BTW, my case serial # is 737797 compared to Chris' # 737738.

Ther you are. No more clearer today than on Friday. Still, worth every penny in my book.

Interesting about the serial number. :g:

I would have expected your watchmaker to be able to provide a more definitive judgment on the authenticity of the crown & movement, since professional watchmakers tend to be well acquainted with these over the course of their careers. On the other hand, none of the watchmakers I know work on dials (they send them out to professional dial refinishers or just replace them), so I would not put too much credence into his conclusions where the dial is concerned.

Have you considered fitting Clark's T39 superdome (which I believe is exactly what came on my watch) instead of a T19?

You might also save yourself alot of time, expense & effort by fitting a 703 crown/tube instead of a 702. The 703 would be fitted by RSC & both look nearly the same (in use). If you want something more authentic, see if you can locate a dot-less 700, which would have been OEM.