When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Arrivial - Orient Star 300M

ORIENT STAR 300M PROFESSIONAL DIVER WZ0251FD

I always have wanted a Seiko Marinemaster GMT Springdrive, however the price put me off and what occured to me is that I liked the chunky substantial design and the power reserve indictator over that of the watch movement.

This led me to the Orient Star 300M. Its only available in Japan and the amount of WTB ads on forums like Timezone show just how popular the model is.

Specs:

Great pick up Skool. I've got one myself and it truely does have insame lume. I'm a self professed lume freak and this one does it for me. Also, you might want to look into sourcing a New Old Stock Omega Mesh bracelet for this sucker. After I put one on it's never come off. It just makes the watch that much better. Congrats and enjoy!

That is a nice piece. Being new to this one...what is the point of the non-hand winding automatic movement?? Are they just trying to make the thing 100% auto?

I don't know what the purpose is, but I can say that this thing only requires a few quick shakes and it'll start to run for quite some time. The power reserve also charges extremely quickly. For some weird reason it charges much much faster than any other watch I've had. So in application this thing is easier to live with than other autos I have. Where as the others require me to manually wind them for several turns the Orient 300m only requires 2 to 3 quick shakes and I can set the time/date and I'm off.

One thing I'd like to mention about the lume. Every time I'm with somebody in my car and I drive into an underground parking structure the thing glows like it's literally radioactive. People comment on it every single time. The only others that I've gotten similar comments on were my Pams/GP Seahawk II/Seiko's. Personally, I think the Orient 300m beats them all, except the Seiko Frankenmonster which has so much lume material that it just about puts everything I've ever seen to shame.

That is a nice piece. Being new to this one...what is the point of the non-hand winding automatic movement?? Are they just trying to make the thing 100% auto?

Simple . The more you hand wind a watch the more chances you have to damage one day the mecanism.

Hand winding is allways uneven. Winding by shaking is ... lets say more even.

Also I belive this way they use less parts on the movement

I personally find it very clever and much reliable.

Simple . The more you hand wind a watch the more chances you have to damage one day the mecanism.

Hand winding is allways uneven. Winding by shaking is ... lets say more even.

Also I belive this way they use less parts on the movement

I personally find it very clever and much reliable.

To AMK and ZTech...thanks!

I've never had problems with any of my autos starting up after only a few shakes. I just found it odd that they wouldn't even have it as an option to manual wind. I thought the issue was with the reversing gear wearing down on the Asian reps and hand winding, but that the gens were not an issue with hand winding.

I can see the fewer parts argument for production cost...but assuming they are using a base ebauche from somebody, presumably it would have the manual winding gears there to be begin with so stripping them out would actually take more effort and cost. Oh well...as long as it works...that's what matters.

Ha imagine that... I never thought that I could offer up any useful info to you TT. :)

I believe that all Seiko movements are all in-house (manufacture) movements and the one used in the Orient 300m just doesn't have the manual wind and hacking functions. Although you could technically hack by holding the crown backwards. I know it was a bit weird at first, but once I got used to it it's very simple.

Has anybody ever thought to fit a seiko calibre SKAXzzz (what ever) to a rep ???

It will create a "for ever going" watch. :)

I too have wondered why this isn't done often too. I always figured there must be a good reason, but have never seen it posted anywhere. I also wonder why they don't use Myota movements too. They're cheap and also relatively accurate and reliable. I'll have to leave this to the experts to answer.