When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who can drill the lug holes on my MBW 1680 and 1665?

perry563

Its fairly easy to do if you have the right gear. Heres some tips for anyone who wants to do their own:

1/ Buy a good quality drill bit, the kind you buy from an engineering shop, not the mall hardware store.

2/ Use a drill press with the case held securely in a vice or similar. You cannot do this job properly with a dremmel etc

3/ Make sure the drill is setup so the new hole follows exactly the center line of the old one. The drill will break every time if you try to cut off angle.

4/ Follow basic metal work rules, small drill = fast rotation speed, and use oil or cutting fluid. Go slowly, let the drill do the work

If you've done a tidy job you shouldn't need to polish the case lugs afterwards, The genuines tend to have a fairly sharp edge to the hole, but if you looking for the aged look you 'll want to round the hole out a little.

as there are already holes in the MBW case -

i strongly suggest you do it by hand ...

leaves you the best control and is also the cheapest way -

you just need time and patience.

cheers,

Frank

Doing it by hand is no doubt possible, but it massively increases your odds of a slip and a big gash in your case to try to polish out.. not fun.

Trust me, unless you got the steadiest hands out you're much better of with the control of a press, or leave it to one of the experts