When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Long lunch to Chinatown

436NR

I took a long lunch and went up to Canal Street. Ugh! What a disappointment! I found only two shops that went in back and got the good stuff and even those were real crappy reps. Guess I'll stick to RWG and everyone's recommendations here. You all seem like a good group! I hope to get to know some of you.

I guess times have changed since last year. I remember I could get the same reps that the GZ dealers had from two separate guys, but when I was a novice buyer, they commanded the prices. When I told them I could get better prices on the net, I only paid a $25 premium average.

And that was on Canal St.

I found with Canal street shops it helps to show them a good rep and ask if they have something of similar quality.

They seem to be more comfortable if you show that you already own reps and know what to expect.

So there are good reps there? Most of the shops said "no Breitling". One guy was wearing a Navitimer and looked at me like I was nuts!

So there are good reps there? Most of the shops said "no Breitling". One guy was wearing a Navitimer and looked at me like I was nuts!

Every watchmaker has an office in NYC, and sometimes the salesmen hassle the Canal Street shops, especially if someone calls them and says "this shop has fakes of (their brand) watches!"

You need to show them you're not working for the manufacturer.

That's probably why the sign said "No Breitling", the Breitling Rep had been in recently.

The shopkeeper probably had a dozen Breitling reps in the back that he'll hold until the heat is off.

Nothing you can't get online for less, however - the only plus is you can try them on.

Every watchmaker has an office in NYC, and sometimes the salesmen hassle the Canal Street shops, especially if someone calls them and says "this shop has fakes of (their brand) watches!"

You need to show them you're not working for the manufacturer.

That's probably why the sign said "No Breitling", the Breitling Rep had been in recently.

The shopkeeper probably had a dozen Breitling reps in the back that he'll hold until the heat is off.

Nothing you can't get online for less, however - the only plus is you can try them on.

Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking to do, put one in my hands and take a good look at it.

Thanks again!