When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First fire of the summer.

trailboss

What a day! I've had an assortment of fire trucks parked in my drive since 2pm and were currently surrounded on three sides by a ring of fire slowley closing in.

I was outside about 1.30 or so when I heard it start just up in the forest behind us. Went up and had a look and promptly called the brigade. Turns out this was one of a dozen started over a cpl of hundred square clicks by a fire bug on a bender.

Its now coming down the hill behind us about 200m away. It will take a fair while to get here now its cooled off at night and there's nothing to do but wait for it to arrive. Got some pics but can't find the cable for the camera. When I do i;ll post them. I'll be here all night as its too close to go to bed in case it get a hurry up. Tired, love to go to sleep but can't. More caffine for trailie.

Col.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, its not realy out of controll anymore thanks to the night air. Its just that due to the terrain behind the house paddock we won't be able to do anything more about it untill its allmost on top of the house. We had four houses and a cpl of sheds under threat earlyier now its just my place and a shed next door. Most everyone else has gone home for some sleep and will be back when I radio in. Probly gunna be about threeAM when it does. Beter then in the cool than our origanel estimate of ten in the morning. That would be much worse. Just the tireing and boreing bit now. Watch and wait.

Col.

I've been a Fire fighter for forteen years as most of the RWG1 crew are aware but its allways different when its your place at risk. Just been out for a looky. Its coming down very slowley. Close enough to see and hear but out of reach in the scrub. Second fire on the property this year. The rental place in the back corner burned down in feb. Just had it repaired in the last few weeks and at least we've burnt all round it so its safe. Loseing it again would have been a real bummer. C r a p I hate a s s hole fire bugs. I bet this is only the start. They usualy keep it up and don't stop at one, or twelve in this case. If he/she (allmost def a he) had left it a cpl more weeks the whole area would have gone up. Thankfully this one's either impatiant or stupid.

Col.

And do not forget to tell him to do that never ever again or you will get [censored].

Yeah, make sure he understands how angry this makes you! Perhaps before you blow his intestines out his mouth with the high pressure fire hose, you could feed him his own ball sack, explaining, "I am doing this so you understand how angry I am." And right after he gets done swallowing the raw sack, you turn on the hose!

:lol:

Very creative John :-)

Update: The fire died right down about 2am but we're now geting a wind change thats going to have 20+ Knots behind it blowing things this way. Its going well further up the hill but we will just have to see if it starts up again this end. I;m trying to get a truck painted and this shure ain't helping any. Tired as all hell too after three hours sleep.

Such is life.

Col.

Very creative John :-)

Update: The fire died right down about 2am but we're now geting a wind change thats going to have 20+ Knots behind it blowing things this way. Its going well further up the hill but we will just have to see if it starts up again this end. I;m trying to get a truck painted and this shure ain't helping any. Tired as all hell too after three hours sleep.

Such is life.

Col.

Glad to hear it has died down a bit - hoping it stays that way. You must be shattered - not just the lack of sleep, but the worry. Hang in there, mate...

Update: I had just started to paint again when I heard the fire pick up again. Droped the spray gun and drove next door to find it about 100m above their shed. Called it in on my firecom radio and had five units there in a half hour. We have spent the rest of the day back burning arround the five structures at risk (inc my house). It was a hot and messy day but it's now beat. The fire is now creeping UP the hill instead of down towards us. I've lost about forty acres of grazeing land so the goats are going to cost a motza in feed for a while but the main thing is no property has been lost. The whole house stinks of smoke and it'll take a cpl of days to scrub the stench off me but thats how it goes here.

Sorry for the lack of pics but as soon as I find a mini USB cable I'll post 'em.

I'm buggered but one more night of not much sleep will enshure that all is well. It took a concerted effort by about a hundred people, twelve fire units, three choppers, a thousand or so man hours by volenteers and a bill of about forty grand plus to the fire service to undo what one fwit on a trail bike took an hour to start. He had beter hope the authorityes catch up with him before the locals do!

On the plus side we're safe for the next cpl of years. I can still see the glow out the window as I type but it's now heading AWAY from us into rough country instead of towards people. The wildlife appears to have fared reasonably well with little loss. Only a cpl of reports of singed wallabys tho who knows what happend to the slower moveing stuff such as snakes, wombats, ect as well as the tree dwellers like possums, koalas ect. Won't know untill it cools down enough to go for a walk and chk for bodies or worse, badly burnt and still alive victims.

Fire is a part of the AU ecosystem but at the right time of year NOT when some fool decides he needs to get his rocks off by lighting fires. People get hardons over the strangest things. This guys days are numbered. Some folk have a good idea who it is and won't need too much more proof to act. Even if the law won't. Fwit.

Col.