When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PVD coating movement

kye_lin

Movements are made to very tight specifications. As PVD is a coating, it would alter the dimensions of each coated piece, rendering it useless. Unless each piece was constructed with an allowance for the thickness of the PVD... but the short answer is no.

I just want to coat the bridges... I am concerned about the jewels... Do I have to remove them before the process??

I have seen at least 2 6497 movement bridges PVD coated by members of the forums... with no issues.... just cannot find the threads...

How about the SOPROD modified PVD 6497 movements?? They are modified aftermarket so to speak... I am sure it can be done...

Cheers...

I am PVDing another movement.. not 6497...

Anyway.... there is sandblasting/beadblasting in the process... prior to coating.. I am concerned it might just damage the jewels...

krnbk2 from RG: did he sandblast/beadblast prior to coating??

Thanks all for the help much appreciated..

Anyway.... there is sandblasting/beadblasting in the process... prior to coating.. I am concerned it might just damage the jewels...

krnbk2 from RG: did he sandblast/beadblast prior to coating??

The PVD movements that I have seen have all had a CDG finish, so no bead blasting is necessary before coating.

Good idea... then maybe I can just leave the jewels in... ;)

I say go for it! The worst thing that could happen is that one or more of the jewels fall out in the process, or crack from the heat. Even if this were to happen, it's easily correctable by a watchmaker.

Someone posted a while back about DLC coating the movement plates in a seconds at six 7750 to reduce the friction between the plate and the transfer gears. I don't know how successful it was, but it might be worth finding the post and investigating further.

Someone posted a while back about DLC coating the movement plates in a seconds at six 7750 to reduce the friction between the plate and the transfer gears. I don't know how successful it was, but it might be worth finding the post and investigating further.

That was me, and it was successful. :D