When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problem with winding

jot9011

I think this problem has been discussed here before, but I can't find the thread. The problem I'm having is on a GMTiic Asian ICHS. The watch fails to wind sufficiently to stay running with normal kinetic movement.

If I shake the watch for a while, it will run for a bit, then stop. Everything else is ok, and the watch runs fine if it is manually wound.

Is this a problem with a loose rotor or something more serious? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

To update my watch's symptoms. I have tried fully winding the watch again and let it set. The watch ran for 31 hours. I put the watch on today without winding it and it appears that the rotor is not doing its job. The watch will run for a bit, maybe 30-40 minutes then stop. If I spin the rotor by shaking the watch the watch will also run for a little bit then stop.

Something new has been happening lately. When I try to set the time, the crown feels like it is slipping, when it catches, the minute hand jumps five minutes at a time. This is also an intermittent problem. I was going to open the watch before to see if it was something I could easily fix, but with these new problems I may just give up on this watch. FUBAR no?

Any advice?

Edited by jot9011

FUBAR no?

Any advice?

I\'m not sure what the problem is...but it might be related to stuff discussed in this post:

Understanding the Power Reserve and Rotor

...the post speaks to the A7750, but some of it should apply to mechs in general.

You might find somebody who can work with the rep movement and repair it...but that may be hard. I know The Zigmeister won\'t touch them GMT movements...even ETA based ones...unless they are the gens (e.g. 2893-2 vs. 2836 with gmt complication). So...you can opt for a replacement movement for $100+shipping from somebody like Silix or Watchstation (for an Asian 2836 with GMT complication vs. the standard Asian with GMT)...and then a movement swap for $50 (or free if you can do it yourself).