When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does anyone have experience with this movement - Hangzhou 6300 (ETA 2824 clone)

watch_fanatic

That datewheel looks eerily familiar...kind of like SOSF familiar.

Who knows how many of us have a 6300 in our watches 'branded' as a 2824?

Skepticism is at it again...though this has performed well, a good service ensures years of positive health.

since ETAs patent expired on their 28xx movements many companies like sellita have sprung up and copied their design exactly. even seagull has 2836 movements. only difference i can note is the quality of material used, but the design *should* be exactly the same and oem eta parts should fit in theory

since ETAs patent expired on their 28xx movements many companies like sellita have sprung up and copied their design exactly. even seagull has 2836 movements. only difference i can note is the quality of material used, but the design *should* be exactly the same and oem eta parts should fit in theory

But quality wise do you think Hangzhou is a good mechanism ?

Hangzhou are a big company responsible for some quality work.

Extract below from china watch wiki:

"The Hangzhou Watch Factory was established in the city of Hangzhou in 1972 with export rights granted from the outset. Initial production was the Standard watch, designated ZHZ. These watches were of higher than usual grade with 19 jewels and were branded Xihu (West Lake) after the famous landmark near the city. Xihu watches were at one time awarded the top national award for quality.

As resources permitted, the factory introduced a new woman-sized watch with an in-house designed small calibre. These watches were also branded Xihu, and that name was also engraved on the movement. Meeting the challenge of a changing market in the 1980s, the factory introduced an automatic Xihu watch. This was a man-sized watch, but the movement was based on the small Xihu calibre with an enlarged dial plate and a very simple auto-winding module with a large rotor.

In more recent times, the changing demands of the market required a higher grade of automatic movement, the 2000 series, which was developed based on the older Seiko calibre 7009 design, but with some detail differences such as a smaller balance wheel. Almost no parts are interchangeable between Seiko and Hangzhou calibres. Besides the basic date and day/date versions, there are also skeleton, triple-date, dual-time and jump-hour versions. The 2000 calibres have been used by many international brands, including Orion (Russia) and Stuhrling (with calibres designated 'Lexus').

Hangzhou Watch Company, are now partners with PTS Resources, Hong Kong. This has enhanced the company through investment in new PTS calibre designs, and has expanded Hangzhou's customer base, particularly at the premium end of the market."

Sounds like one of the beter clones on the market and most likely found in more than a few of our reps. At a guess there's a lot of worse ones out there. Anyone got any personal experiance with this MVT?

Col.

Certainly, PTS Resources makes some of the best movements in terms of quality, as far as CN movements go. Ofrei and Cousins sell them and they can be identified by the "WO" symbol under the balance- movements like the DG2813, etc. Of course, other CN companies make basically the same movement- all of which are derived from the Miyota.

I do have a clone ETA in my noob sub which has been doing fine for a couple of years now- maybe it's from Hangzhou. But the problem with the eta copies is that parts aren't necessarily interchangeable with true eta parts and regulating them can be difficult sometimes. But heck, it's worth a try. I consider a $60-70 investment small potatoes in the scheme of things. But my nephew just had to scrap a clone in his SSD and replace it w/ a true eta for $100 plus $40 to change it over- good news is, hand sizes were the same.