When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Insert keeps popping out

Cats

Sorry guys here i am again with the bezel and insert issue.

When i put the insert into the bezel it sits nice and a little under the lip of the bezel.

IMG_3251.jpg

But when assemble the bezel on to the watch head the insert keeps popping out even with some strong glue in between the bezel and the insert.

Maybe i sanded down the insert a little bit to much but my feeling is that the inner side of the insert touches the top of the retention ring and causes the popping out.

Could it be the case that i flattened the insert by pushing the insert on the sanding paper ??

IMG_3242.jpg

Another problem is that if i replace the bezel it's almost impossible to turn it.

I saw some posts telling that you have to bent it or clean it.

My feeling tells me that if i alter the tension ring i have to flatten it , is that correct ??

Thanks for reading and your advise

Carpe Diem

Cats

Paneraibob,

i checked it by putting the inlay over the crystal without the bezel and it sits free from the crystal.

Still think it's the retention ring . I already sarted bending the insert into a more conical shape.

Thanks for your quick repsonse.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Paneraibob,

i checked it by putting the inlay over the crystal without the bezel and it sits free from the crystal.

Still think it's the retention ring . I already sarted bending the insert into a more conical shape.

Thanks for your quick repsonse.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Insert the washer into the bezel assembly first ( it should seat in an inverted cone position), then place the assembly over the crystal and press into place.

Assuming you assembled everything correctly, the insert you have is probably too thick, so you will need to sand down the backside until there is enough clearance so that it does not come into contact with anything below it.

A better option would simply be to get a better/more accurate insert to begin with. The PMWF insert (the Search will reveal a wealth of links & info) fits a gen/MBW/Vietnamese bezel perfectly without the need for resizing or any glue or cement.

On the better rep cases, there is a thin, flat metal washer (which is slightly bent) that sits between the bezel & case. This provides a slight amount of upward pressure on the bezel to keep it in position (once set, a diver does not want his bezel scale to move). To move the bezel, press down & turn. However, if you would prefer a freely-spinning bezel, simply flatten (unbend) the washer.

The bezels on Chinese cases are often held onto the case only by the hexagonal spring, which locks into place below the lip of the crystal retaining ring. Sometimes, part of the spring will get stuck on top of that lip, which leaves the spring partially riding along the outside of the retaining ring lip & that makes it difficult to rotate the bezel. Remove the bezel, take the insert out of the bezel, reinstall the bezel (without the insert, so you can be sure the bezel spring fits below the retaining ring's lip all the way around its circumference. Then, when you are sure the spring is correctly seated all the way around, reinstall the insert (if you use the PMWF insert, you can press it in with your thumbs).