When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new boss is a watch freak

Nightstroker

If he asks, why dont you just come clean? Say you have a few low end watches, and because you cant afford the the gens, you have some reps.

I bet, if you approach it from the honest side, hell be cool.

There is no reason to "compete" on his terms. especially since he has so many watches.

Also most people cant spot reps anyway. even though he is a gen collector, mostly only the real brand nerds can spot flaws in the models they are experts in.

That would violate replica watch law #2....NEVER ADMIT TO ANYONE THAT YOU OWN A REPLICA WATCH. I suppose that among close and personal friends its okay....but not others and certainly your new boss who wears $10,000 tickers....

Sorry to say this but if anybody would say this to me i would know that he knows nothing about watches at all

But the story was nice to read, thxx for sharing this

Cheers

I believe he was referring to the Omega 8500 / 8501....in some aspects it is a revolutionary design.

Yesterday he wore a Franck Muller (Conquistador I believe) SS with black dial arabic.

He slipped in today for a few moments, just to check in and see how things are goin.

From the other side of the office he says "Steve, come over here, you are going to like this."

I assumed that he was going to give us some good news about the company or some business related stuff.

To my surprise, when I came over to where he was sitting, he holds out his hand and says, "I just bought this yesterday; have you heard of Audemar Piquet?"

He hands me his new Royal Oak. He said it was $9000. In shock....I accidentally dropped it on the floor....

JUST KIDDING! :bleh:

Its a beautiful watch with a see through case back....definately not a rep. I was impressed by the detail of the rotor and the balance wheel design. SS bracelet with blue dial.

I asked him what kind of watch he was wearing the other day....the one I thought was a Franck Muller....he says "I have no idea, I cant remember. Maybe it was a Ulysses Nardin, I dont remember."

I asked him if it was a Franck and he still couldnt remember....although he said that he does own a couple Franck's...including a Master Banker and Conquistador.

I asked him where he gets his watches and he said that he buys them online from private collectors! That was a shock....I wonder if he has ever been scammed. He said that he bought a Patek perpetual calendar online for $4000 and sold it earlier this year for $11,000.

I was going to ask him how many watches he owns, but quickly decided that might not be appropriate. Im gonna tread lightly and privately drool over his collection.... :lol:

I don't think I'd ask a Russian developer man where he gets his watches :):

Sounds a nice guy but yes, be carefull. All recent auto Tags are out because they all have display backs (at least all we get here in Oz) and that presents a problem if he happens to know Tag. You could of cause just go and buy a gen Tag quartz or a rep of one. That's a respectable watch in a price range you can afford and shows that you do have an intrest within your means. Or of cause there's brands like Hamilton or Ball ect where you can pick up a nice gen for well under a grand. Have a look at the GUG (Gens Under a Grand) forum at RWI. Do a great job and he may decide you deserve beter!

Col.

I was a little surprised to see his watch today....

Patak Philippe Gondolo.... This one

Later, he got off the phone with a friend and said to me, "Have you ever heard of Jean Dunand?" I said, "Yes, I think so" (Even though I knew damn well I hadn't.)

He says (In Russian accent), "My friend just bought special edition Jean Dunand, cost him about $500,000." Wow! I said. He then says, "Ah, its nothing for him....chump change." Then hopped into his $90,000 Jag and took off.

Perhaps it is this one covered with diamonds....not sure though.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent seen the guy for a few days, so I had nothing new to report.

Today however he shows me this....

Jaeger le Couture Geographic

jaeger%20le%20couture%20geographic.jpg

He said it is a very old watch. When you turn the crown on the left side it rotates the countries in the display at 6:00 and changes the hour hand on the 6:00 subdial. He has a SS bracelet though.