When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex sub crown change?

marcl

I was at my local AD on Saturday picking up a replacement rubber strap for my seamaster. But before i went in, there is a Rolex AD next door, and in the window he had a new display of subs. Anyway, i noticed the crowns where huge! I had my Noobmariner on my wrist and held it up to the window there was not 6 inches between the gens and mine. I could not tell the difference! they where very big, bigger than the pics behind the watches on the displays.

Needless to say i was very surprised.

Rolex has a new crown assembly out- the 24-704-0 and tube, 24-7040-0. Seen it listed for the SD and late model Daytonas. Can't tell you anything more about it. It's not on the sub which is still a 16610 model w/ the 24-703-0 asssembly AFAIK. Some day Rolex will update the sub to a 116610, I would think, but don't even know about that at this point.

Also, with the noob being over two years old, I don't know if the crown has been improved on the later models. BKLM went to the Noob factory and they devised a more correct crown and new tube which he has been putting on his BK mariners for a while- don't know if the factory ever made that improvement themselves.

Hold up! does this mean that the Noobmariner IS THE BEST SUB? Haha.

Actually you could have it spot on! i have always been told the crown on the noob was too big, So when i saw it on the gen i thought, eh up it must have been changed. But like you said maybe my crown is the now the right size.

kind regards. marc.

It would make sense for the noob to go to the better crown assembly, but I don't know, since all of my noobs are two years old- and two of them heve gen crowns and tubes.

The new crown and tube on the SD, WM9 and Euromariner are copies of the gen. You can swap out a gen crown and it will fit the rep tube on those three models. But this is the 24-703 assembly- which is a 25+ year old assembly- c. 1980.