When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big Pilot 5002 and Portuguese 5001, pictorial

Niclas

Received these beauties from Precious Time last week. Great to deal with PT as always.

iwcawz8.jpg

The Big Pilot has a good feeling but the rep strap have to be changed. There are not to many options. I ordered the black gator from Strapluxe. The strap is OK but not worth the $150 it cost. I was actually disappointed when the strap arrived. It is said to be alligator but the feeling is more like gator grain. The rivets on the rep strap is better looking but a few strokes with a scotch brite gave the rivets on the Stapluxe a better look.

iwcdkm2.jpg

iwcchv6.jpg

iwcewn5.jpg

The Portuguese is a perfect dress watch. This rep is not very accurate but it has a gen feel.

iwcfzy8.jpg

I already had this strap. It is a dark brown gator from The Watch Boys. I ordered it for an FA Jones but it did not look good. The dark brown, however, is a perfect match to the grey dial of the 5001.

iwchlb9.jpg

The gen is white gold and cost about $20,000. This was about $250, with the strap :D

iwcgtf1.jpg

the rep does come with a black (rep) gator strap with white stitching; he replaced it with a strapluxe black alligator strap with matching stitching ;)

deltatahoe

Unless they are shipping the 5002 with two different types of straps, the three 5002's I received all came with a black buffalo grain "type" of strap with white contrast stiching. I have not seen an alligator grain strap come on the 5002.

Read Niclas' post again. He is showing his watch with the Strapluxe strap not the strap it came with from PT.

And BTW Niclas - I agree with you 100% - although the strap on the watch as it comes has a cheap feel to it, they nailed the expensive look of the Gen rivets when they spun the finish. Good idea to brush the rivets on your after market strap. I too think the chrome or polished look of the after market strap rivets has a cheezy look to it. I am going to try it on my rivets when the strap I ordered comes in. Great idea!

This is the strap the watch came with (also available in black):

iwc1vj0.jpg

The strap looks OK in picture but it feels cheap.

Here you can see that the rivets are nice though.

iwc2iy6.jpg

Gen 5002 is Buffalo strap with white stitching. I have a gen. I subsequently bought a gen 5004 strap which is black croc with black stitching. Gen IWC strap (no clasp) cost
Edited by Niclas

Maybe not the most accurate, but I love the look of that watch.

I gotta get me one of those!

Great review, Niclas. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Can anyone point out what is not accurate with the BP 5001? I'm not familiar with IWCs at all so some pointers would be useful than just saying it is not accurate. thanks.