When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I think I screwed up!

436NR

I was trying to adjust the daily timing of my A7750 and instead of moving the lever with the 2 gold dots I moved the one with the single gold dot. I further researched that the lever with the single gold dot controls the the isochronism of the watch. The article that I read said NEVER touch that lever and if you do you need to go to a watchmaker to get it recalibrated. I put it back to where I think it was. I made a mental note of it's position before I moved it just in case. Not sure it's the EXACT spot but we're talking fractions here.

What should I do? Is there anything that I can do to calibrate on my own -OR- am I basically screwed?

PICT2188.JPG

Thanks! But I found this The Zigmeister quote "look at the hairspring on the balance, where the hairspring ends - this is the stud arm. You never move the stud arm as this affects the beat of the watch, and to adjust the beat, you need a watch analyzer."

CRAP!!! CRAP, CRAP CRAP! I moved the stud arm!

Where do I get a watch analyzer? What's a watch analyzer? Who has a watch analyzer? What is my name? Where am I? :shock:

Like I said, "I'M SCREWED"! :cry2:

You're NOT screwed! You can fix this (sometimes an accident is the best way to learn something new).

There's an easy and cheap way to regulate your watch. This may be a quick and dirty method, but I've successfully regulated watches to within a few seconds a day.

You need a microphone that you can plug into your computer (I've actually used the microphone attached to my skype headset), and software. If you're more industrious, you can buy a cheap microphone and build a microphone pre-amp (see this link: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=36339).

Download this software: http://tokeiyade.michikusa.jp/download/ and regulate your watch. It's really not that hard. The hardest part is being able to get the microphone to hear the 'tick'.

PM me if you have questions.

You're NOT screwed! You can fix this (sometimes an accident is the best way to learn something new).

There's an easy and cheap way to regulate your watch. This may be a quick and dirty method, but I've successfully regulated watches to within a few seconds a day.

You need a microphone that you can plug into your computer (I've actually used the microphone attached to my skype headset), and software. If you're more industrious, you can buy a cheap microphone and build a microphone pre-amp (see this link: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=36339).

Download this software: http://tokeiyade.michikusa.jp/download/ and regulate your watch. It's really not that hard. The hardest part is being able to get the microphone to hear the 'tick'.

PM me if you have questions.

COOL!!!!

I'll give this one a try! Sounds like a plan, and my pappy always said that it's better to have a plan than to be swimming with the fishes, or something like that! :nea:

Thanks!

I made matters worse! I was on the right track, thanks to szvwj, he was very helpful. However, I damaged the Hair Spring beyond repair. So what are my options? Canal Street NYC and get a bad rep and take the assembly out of that and replace it or just get a new watch?

I would take it to a watchsmith (not an AD) and ask him to have a look, parts might be a potential problem so he may not be able to fix it.

Worth a shot though.

Your other option is to contact The Zigmeister, he's kind of like the A-team, if you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire........The Zigmeister.

No idea if he is busy or even taking work at the moment.

I would take it to a watchsmith (not an AD) and ask him to have a look, parts might be a potential problem so he may not be able to fix it.

Worth a shot though.

Your other option is to contact The Zigmeister, he's kind of like the A-team, if you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire........The Zigmeister.

No idea if he is busy or even taking work at the moment.

I took it to a watchsmith local to me. He was impressed with this rep. He does not have the parts and can't get them. He said if I can get my hands on an Asian 7750 he would swap it out for me. He had an ETA 7750. I went to Canal St NYC and got a cheap rep. I'll open it up when I get home and see what it looks like. Maybe I can swap it out myself?

Guess I did everything that I was NOT suppose to do. Got in over my head! I went from bad to worse. Now I have a beautiful high quality rep that has no heart beat! I killed the patient and all it had was post nasal drip!!!

Edited by 436NR

Ajoesmith is selling A7750 movements for $110 shipped.

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=40241

I sent Ajoesmith a message. Let's see if he's got any left. We'll make this one a work in progress! Thanks for the help! I'm determined to keep The Zigmeister out of this one. I still haven't earned the right! Besides, how much worse can I do? :bangin:

SZVWJ: Thanks again for your help and advice!

Edited by 436NR

And did you order the modded slow-beat one? otherwise it won't work in the datora... Well, it will, but you'll lose a lot of funtions (day, date, month, 24 hr hand) and the subdial hands and the main center seconds hand won't fit :S

Hope you ordered it especially for the datora!

Greetz.

And did you order the modded slow-beat one? otherwise it won't work in the datora... Well, it will, but you'll lose a lot of funtions (day, date, month, 24 hr hand) and the subdial hands and the main center seconds hand won't fit :S

Hope you ordered it especially for the datora!

Greetz.

My plan was to swap out the balance.

That should be okay, but well, the old one has a regulator and the new doesn't... But I think that doesn't affect the balance.

Greetz.

Guess I'll be doing a lot of searching and reading and searching and reading some more! :D

"Don't look into the trap Ray!"

"I looked into the trap!" :unsure: