When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any one have this problem? Ceramic GMT II crown Issue

rolexconfuse

I have the Asian ICH version of the GMT II Ceramic (not the new Full ceramic), anyway the watch runs fine. Kept perfect time and never had a problem with it (except for the GMT hand stopping from time time).

2 months ago I stopped wearing my watch because I lost the screw that held the band to the buckle. I didn't notice until my watch fell to the ground. Now watch still worked, no scratches on the bezel, band, or case. Watch winds fine, date wheel changes with no issue, crown screws in smoothly.

So I did not touch the watch for 2 months. I finally found a spare screw that would work with the watch so I started to wearing the watch this week.

Everything works but all of the sudden the crown sticks (it never stuck in the past) and it's a nightmare to unscrew. At first i thought that the gasket was causing the problem but the rubber seal did not move and it does not appear to be damaged.

There's no direct on the crown threads so i don't understand what's causing the crown to stick now?

wow, i guess that could be a possible but when the watch fell it fell on the the watch face and the crown was screwed on tight. Is it possible that the shock of the fall did something to the threads?

The crown unscrewing/screwing occurs between the crown & crown tube

crown_assembly1.jpg

So, most likely, the fall bent or damaged the tube and/or its threads. But the only way to know for sure is to open the case, release/remove the stem/crown & inspect the threads.

The same thing happened to my brother's Explorer II, but with no previous shock. He hadn't worn the watch for two months too, and neither the crown, not the tube (or the O-ring) seemed to be damaged.

I forced the crown after having wrapped a soft cloth around it; then I lubricated the tube, and the problem was solved.

The only reasonable assumption I can put forward is a manifestation of the thermal expansion of the crown.

That is crazy :o but i guess I'll try lubing it and see what happens

The same thing happened to my brother's Explorer II, but with no previous shock. He hadn't worn the watch for two months too, and neither the crown, not the tube (or the O-ring) seemed to be damaged.

I forced the crown after having wrapped a soft cloth around it; then I lubricated the tube, and the problem was solved.

The only reasonable assumption I can put forward is a manifestation of the thermal expansion of the crown.