When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

250/251 Cases?

archibald

I know this question has probably been asked and answered in one of the 57 Daylight threads, but I can't find it: Has it been determined if the latest Daylights' cases are more like the "new" crappy, light, and inaccurate 196/188cases or the "old" good, heavy, and accurate ones? This Cheap Ass ain't gonna shell out the cash for the the Swiss version if they finally fixed the "LUMINOR" problem w/o reverting to the better cases.

The 188 and 196 have the correct bezel spelling. On the cases for the 250 and 251 I would be surprised if it is different from the "new" case since, to the best of my knowledge, there are only two factories which produce (produced in the case of the older case) the 188 and 196. The new case only came about when the original factory ceased production. The second factory elected to save some money. :wounded1:

How about the quality of the current 196 case?

Is the bezel angle wrong, lighter weight case, lugs not properly shaped, that's what I have heard.

How about the quality of the current 196 case?

Is the bezel angle wrong, lighter weight case, lugs not properly shaped, that's what I have heard.

Those are exactly the flaws that kruzer00 is referring to in his post. I bet he's right--the factory that made the original Daylights (which began as a special project for watchhonpo if i remember right) stopped making them. It stands to reason that the factory that took up production (and screwed up the cases) is the one making the 250 & 251--which also means that niether will see the light of day on my wrist.

Not that we have any great power over any rep factories in china, but I see no reason for us to reward people who add flaws to reps to increase the profit they make from us.

Not to confuse the matter but:

93565-27736.jpg

93565-27737.jpg

Anyone want to spell tachymeter? :lol: Black one in catalogue is consistent. White isn't. Someone please show a pic of the gens if they are being sold yet. Lest we forget, there is more than one watch in the Panerai Catalogue that shows a prototype. Look at the engraving on the 217 movement relative to the crown guard lever? Is it upside down or isn't it.;)