When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Travelling to South East Asia

golf645

I was wondering if there were any places that we better than others for quality on the streets or if there are any tricks I need to get past the cheap tourist stuff and get to the watches that you guys have made me so aware of. ( the good ones!). I am going to Thailand, Singopore, Tokyo, Cambodia, Bali, and maybe Vietnam (depending on visas). I know there are a few great markets down there for almost anything but I would like to go in with a little education. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

I've never been over there, so I can't actually answer your question. But if I were going over there I would find 5 or 6 six watches I knew I wanted and research all the flaws in the best reps, get to know the watch better than if you had the gen. Only that way will you be able to wade through the piles of junk you'll no doubt encounter. There's going to be so many different watches that even if they were good reps you'd never be able to spot the key flaws that even the best reps can have.

I've never been over there, so I can't actually answer your question. But if I were going over there I would find 5 or 6 six watches I knew I wanted and research all the flaws in the best reps, get to know the watch better than if you had the gen. Only that way will you be able to wade through the piles of junk you'll no doubt encounter. There's going to be so many different watches that even if they were good reps you'd never be able to spot the key flaws that even the best reps can have.

Yes. Good advice. I'll do that. Any one else? Anyone... Bueller?...Bueller?

Your best bet is Bangkok, Thailand! Haven't been there yet, but going there this coming Jan. '90! I've been told that the MBK market is your best choice! If you want Gens,

then Singapore is your best choice! It's the new Gen Watch Mecca of Asia!

Good luck and Happy Trip/Hunting! Please post back your experience and any discovery made! I could use it!

Hike

• 4 weeks later...
I was wondering if there were any places that we better than others for quality on the streets or if there are any tricks I need to get past the cheap tourist stuff and get to the watches that you guys have made me so aware of. ( the good ones!). I am going to Thailand, Singopore, Tokyo, Cambodia, Bali, and maybe Vietnam (depending on visas). I know there are a few great markets down there for almost anything but I would like to go in with a little education. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Just came back from Hong Kong/Beijing/Shanghai/Seoul/Tokyo/Singapore/Phnom Pen. All the time looking for good quality replicas. The only place I found replicas was in Shanghai and Hong Kong (didn't look in Singapore). It was extremely difficult to find the good quality ones. The vast majority of the dealers just sell the low quality fakes, but when you ask them if they have the good quality ones, the ALWAYS say they do. After 4 hours of looking, I only found one guy in Shanghai who had 6 watches with saphire crystals. Didn't find any in Hong Kong. A friend tells me that Shen Zhen is the place to go for replicas, but I didn't have time to go.

As a Singaporean who travel frequently to Malaysia and once a while to Hongkong, I think they are all the same (reps). In Singapore, I am not so sure of any good rep dealers, but in Malaysia there are a few! However, they are all carrying the same as the dealers on these boards and the prices may or may not be cheaper. They do sometimes have watches that are out of stock!

As for second hand gen watches, I actually think Singapore is a great place to get them! The prices are quite competitive. And the range is great! When you going or rather coming over?