When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Master II Retro and Autowinder

Plyskin

I bought a Retro Ed GMT Master II SS Blue/Red (ROLGMT014) from Andrew. I have not yet worn it as its a gift.

I have wound it three times and placed it in an autowinder. The watch however stops without fail after about 33 hours. Its not the autowinder, since its a double and the Sub from SevenWatch has not missed a tick in three weeks.

I've written Andrew who states the GMT Retro does not work in the autowinder only on the wrist. GMT requires more aggressive wrist action to autowind.

Any thoughts? Do I have a lemon?

What type of winder is it? Some of them can adjust to various TPD (Turns Per Day)...there's a published schedule (orbita?) of recommended TPD for various types of movements... so if it's an ETA you could set the winder to the correct number of TPD and see if that works...

I bought a Retro Ed GMT Master II SS Blue/Red (ROLGMT014) from Andrew. I have not yet worn it as its a gift.

I have wound it three times and placed it in an autowinder. The watch however stops without fail after about 33 hours. Its not the autowinder, since its a double and the Sub from SevenWatch has not missed a tick in three weeks.

I've written Andrew who states the GMT Retro does not work in the autowinder only on the wrist. GMT requires more aggressive wrist action to autowind.

Any thoughts? Do I have a lemon?

The key to matching a winder to a movement is not the length of time it turns, but the total number of turns for a 24 hour period. Either your watch requires service or the winder is not providing a sufficient number of turns/day for that movement.

You can get a good indication of which it is by manually winding the watch 40 turns (slowly) & then wearing the watch for a couple of days. Assuming you are reasonably active during this time, if the watch stops, then it needs service. If it continues to run, then the winder is not providing sufficient turns/day (the guides that accompany some winders are NOT always correct).