When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG1: Mosquito Tone

JohnG

Good find. I can hear 16KHz at 42 so I'm happy. I think I may do beter with a pair of headphones rather than crappy speakers. Must get a new 5.1 sound card so I can plug the Creatives in again. Allways have had good hearing. Discrimitry hearing is crap tho. Can't make out a conversation in a noisey room but I can hear a pin drop! Air craft do that to you.

Col.

Good find. I can hear 16KHz at 42 so I'm happy. I think I may do beter with a pair of headphones rather than crappy speakers. Must get a new 5.1 sound card so I can plug the Creatives in again. Allways have had good hearing. Discrimitry hearing is crap tho. Can't make out a conversation in a noisey room but I can hear a pin drop! Air craft do that to you.

Col.

[censored]. I can hear 13 no problem, 14 MAYBE but I am not sure I am not imagining it... Normal for my age, but still sucks..

Just allways was good at freq range. As i said it's no use if there's background noise my hearings stuffed. For some reason I have no probs listitening to three radio comms chann at once. Comes with the ability to be instantly awake at one of a number of key words on the scanner that's on 24/7.

I sleep thru 98% of radio traffic but if there's an indicator that its local my brain picks up on that ann kindly wakes me. It's a trick I learned as a radio op on ship. You soon learn that you can't be awake every minute and learn to wake up at trafic of interest. There's a repeater in your cabin which if you'r the senior/only opp is usualy right beside the radio room. That's great yntill the seas come up and you rember what a difference being 60 odd feet above sea level makes to a roll.

Considering what I've put my ears thru aver the years I don't know why there still so good. I should prob be at least half deaf by now.

Col.

Be wary about the accuracy of this kind of test. The problem is that low quality loudspeakers used in TVs, computers etc often have miserable high-frequency performance.

On a good stereo at home, I can just hear a tone of around 16k generated by a professional quality signal generator (unusually good for my age, I'll be 50 next month). On the iMac speakers here at work, which start rolling off above about 12k, I can only manage 14k generated by the test you posted.

Be wary about the accuracy of this kind of test. The problem is that low quality loudspeakers used in TVs, computers etc often have miserable high-frequency performance.

On a good stereo at home, I can just hear a tone of around 16k generated by a professional quality signal generator (unusually good for my age, I'll be 50 next month). On the iMac speakers here at work, which start rolling off above about 12k, I can only manage 14k generated by the test you posted.

14 khz thru my 1" laptop speakers, but don't forget - I played hard rock for 20+ years, so, maybe it also contributed to hearing loss.

And I'll be 44 in January.

I was put out that I'm not even listed in the age brackets at 61. My wife is the same age. :wheelchair: Using my Bose noise-canceling phones plugged into my laptop I can go to 14 where I actually notice it, but 15 is barely discernible, I can hear it but I wouldn't notice it unless I was concentrating on finding it. My wife went up to 16, must be why she's always asking me to turn down the TV. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for bringing this test to my attention.

I was put out that I'm not even listed in the age brackets at 61. My wife is the same age. :wheelchair: Using my Bose noise-canceling phones plugged into my laptop I can go to 14 where I actually notice it, but 15 is barely discernible, I can hear it but I wouldn't notice it unless I was concentrating on finding it. My wife went up to 16, must be why she's always asking me to turn down the TV. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you for bringing this test to my attention.

Interesting fact: Women, as a generall rule, have better hearing than men at high-frequencies - whatever the age range

• 4 months later...