When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Newbie Question

cib0rgman

Hi,

This is for the Panerai Exoperts, I have devloped a taste for this wathes I am looking into buying one. so ineed the help of the exoert to tell which one to buy.

I am looking for the simpliest one with no date. and of course with the lates imporvements money is not an issue of course i do not want to buy a gen one.

Thanks

Hi,

This is for the Panerai Exoperts, I have devloped a taste for this wathes I am looking into buying one. so ineed the help of the exoert to tell which one to buy.

I am looking for the simpliest one with no date. and of course with the lates imporvements money is not an issue of course i do not want to buy a gen one.

Thanks

My advice: Get the PAM111H Swiss Unitas Swan Neck... or maybe the PAM127 in Swiss Unitas 6497 swan neck.

They are the old time favs..

My advice: Get the PAM111H Swiss Unitas Swan Neck... or maybe the PAM127 in Swiss Unitas 6497 swan neck.

They are the old time favs..

Thanks for the advice, but does the gen one has a see thru caseback. Kind like better a solid caseback, that way i do not have to worry about the movement accuracy

andrew's right, but if you want to go even simpler you could go for a radiomir base (210) or a luminor base (112). then if you wanted a variant of the luminor you could go with a titanium base (176) or with sub-seconds at 9 (177) or get really crazy and go for the vintage logo base (000).

i'm also partial to the 005 logo as well. don't even get me started on davidsen's custom vintages either. (randy, eddy, etc. this is your cue to post pics of yours)

if you want the 'best' chronograph my personal favorite is the tantalium (192) on bracelet, but you may be hard pressed to come by one of the good ones. many will argue the best chrono is the 1950 flyback (212) , but i dislike the asian 7750 (and the swiss 7750 is a bit pricey) so that's a no-go for me.

honestly, you can't go wrong. buy a 187 and scare the living hell out of every other normal human being around you or go undercover and get a 40mm mini-me - either way you're fine.

good luck on the search

andrew's right, but if you want to go even simpler you could go for a radiomir base (210) or a luminor base (112). then if you wanted a variant of the luminor you could go with a titanium base (176) or with sub-seconds at 9 (177) or get really crazy and go for the vintage logo base (000).

i'm also partial to the 005 logo as well. don't even get me started on davidsen's custom vintages either. (randy, eddy, etc. this is your cue to post pics of yours)

if you want the 'best' chronograph my personal favorite is the tantalium (192) on bracelet, but you may be hard pressed to come by one of the good ones. many will argue the best chrono is the 1950 flyback (212) , but i dislike the asian 7750 (and the swiss 7750 is a bit pricey) so that's a no-go for me.

honestly, you can't go wrong. buy a 187 and scare the living hell out of every other normal human being around you or go undercover and get a 40mm mini-me - either way you're fine.

good luck on the search

Now You really gave a lot of information, I do not even know what are you talking about, I guess I have to do a lot of reading. I want something that is not to fancy and that compare to the gen is not really price.

I do not want to look like I am wearing a 10k watch and that I can not afford anyway.

Thanks for advice.

good luck on the search

This is excelent advice - as was andrews.

I think you need to do some research and learn about the watches as you have received the best advice I have ever seen for a questions like yours.

@ciborg

i'll let others chime in about that watch, but it is on my list of panerai to get. you can either pm me or post here what is confusing and we'll do our best to straighten you out. the numbers inside of the (parentheses) are the model numbers for the watches. that way you can refer to the exact model that you like.

and i'll make a small confession in that when i first started getting into panerai, i said to myself "how will i ever keep track of all of the different models, there are just too many and it is just too confusing!!!" then i read and studied the pics until i couldn't take it anymore. and then i did it again and again and again. you'll get the hang of it, just be patient with it.

@c_j

thanks for the kind words

@ehtolcad

don't you have better things to fill your brain with than panerai model numbers?

I was looking at andrew website and I foung this one http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...;products_id=46

can anybody comment about it?.

Can this watch be waterproofed.

thanks

That's a nice watch although I'm not sure how much you could pick up a gen for - if you can even pick up a gen of that...

If you want something simple and that doesn't cost 10k for the gen why not get some thing like this

I have one and I love it - although not exactly the same, and I have changed to a different strap (from Andrew/Trusty). Also, Andrew will waterproof and service watches for you at a very competitive rate if you wish to do so.

This is mine...

post-69-1153473733_thumb.jpgpost-69-1153473651_thumb.jpgpost-69-1153473771_thumb.jpg

After reading and browsing the Panerai Website, I have decided which watch I want. I a 210, with a black leather strap.

Let me tell you it was not easy there is so many choices :black_eye:

Now I am searching for the dealer with the best 210 available, is there a swan neck 210 ?

any suggestions.

Edited by cib0rgman

Wow - look at you speaking in paneri lingo - and this soon too!

Yes you will want an ETA Movt with CDG engravings and a swan-neck regulator. You will want to throw away the strap that it comes with and get a better strap. You can swap the buckle from the rep strap to the new one.

now you got me confused what is CDG. So who has the best available version?

@ciborg

"how will i ever keep track of all of the different models, there are just too many and it is just too confusing!!!" @ehtolcad

don't you have better things to fill your brain with than panerai model numbers?

Ha ha ha! Have you seen the 2006 Paneai Catalogue?

There is a whole rake of new model numbers to commit to memory... :lol:

Edited by Highflyingclive

After reading and browsing the Panerai Website, I have decided which watch I want. I a 210, with a black leather strap.

Let me tell you it was not easy there is so many choices :black_eye:

Now I am searching for the dealer with the best 210 available, is there a swan neck 210 ?

any suggestions.

You don't see that many people that start out with a Rad for their first PAM. Good for you! I think you'll like it better than that vintage piece. The fixed lugs on the vintage really limits the number of strap choices. But, you'll have plenty to choose from with the 210.

Good luck with your purchase.

PS: "who has the best" questions are not answered usualy - this question usualy requires that you have shown you have done some work researching yourself first...

That What I've doing the whole day, I been in several dealer sites, and I found the 210 swan neck movement, there is only on thing that bothers me is that all of the movement that I saw have the panerai letters in blue on the back of the watch. Besides that I think they are pretty good.

I compare the movements with a picture from the panerai website that is the reason why I prefer solid case back watches. There is nothing to show.

Edited by cib0rgman

Lots to learn grasshopper. Takes much more then a day. Read and then ask specific questions. However, not the "Who has the best" one. Also use the hell out of the search function.

If you have a question that you think is stupid the use the PM function and PM someone who seems to know a lot about the watch you are looking for. Many people here will help you via PM.