When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! Problems Decasing a Skyland

Toadtorrent

Hi,

Ok...I've decased a few IWCs, Omegas, Rolexes, etc...but never a Breitling. I got my improved dial from Watchstation and was going to do a dial swap, but after doing the following:

1. Set time to noon
  2. Pull out stem to WINDING position as per The Zigmeister recommendation
  3. Admire beautiful Breitling engraving of the cheap, noisy rotor
  4. Remove 3 movement holder screws and holder tabs
  5. attempt to turn case onto casing pad...

...NO DICE. The movement and dial held to the holder drops out to the point where the rotor is level with the caseback gasket...but stops. I can't get it to budge beyond that. I looked at the movement holder and there look to be big notches where the chrono pushers engage so those shouldn't be catching, and the chrono pushers look to be free from the case and movement.

Am I missing something?? Is there are another way to get the movement out?

I know on my Noobmariner, the movement holder was a tricky bugger to get back in if the angle wasn't just right...but here, I've tried nudging the movement holder while holding the thing upside down to no success.

I looked at Ajoesmith's A7750 swap tutorial and things look pretty identical...so I'm a bit confused.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The problem you're encountering is caused by the chrono pushers. They probably catch in to the movement holder ring or into the holes of the movement holder ring (where those tiny pusher extentions are located). Try to remove the movement holder ring first. Then remove the movement. This will work.

Remove the two screws which connect the movement and the ring. Remove the ring. Remove the movement + dial.

Click (twice) to enhance.

thumb_big_2008112515031818767966.jpg

You've removed the stem, and the clamps, so the only thing I can see being an issue is the pusher. Try getting the spacer out without the movement, maybe that will help?

EDIT – Rolaxman beat me to it, but it seems like you have your solution Toad!

The problem you're encountering is caused by the chrono pushers. They probably catch in to the movement holder ring or into the holes of the movement holder ring (where those tiny pusher extentions are located). Try to remove the movement holder ring first. Than remove the movement. This will work.

Remove the two screws which connect the movement and the ring. Remove the ring. Remove the movement + dial.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't worked on one with screws holding the retainer ring before. I think that is the problem. I'll try it tonight and let you know.

That pic is very helpful!!

You've removed the stem, and the clamps, so the only thing I can see being an issue is the pusher. Try getting the spacer out without the movement, maybe that will help?

Hey Andreww,

From AJS' tutorial, his didn't seem to have this retainer ring screw issue that Rolexman pointed out. I don't have time to work on it now...but it looks like that might be the problem. Upon closer examination, I did note that the movement was catching at the chrono pusher side, but I couldn't see what it was catching on.

Removing the ring first if I can will hopefully solve it.

I'll post back results and pics when I get it done.

Thanks!!