When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can You Modify a Buckle Strap to fit a Deployant Clasp?

Alan_Schezar

Can You Modify a Buckle Strap to fit a Deployant Clasp?

All the Strap Sites Mainly Sell Buckle Straps... :animal_rooster:

I've been looking on countless sites for a 2nd strap for my PAM 104, and seen many that I like, however, they are made for Buckle Clasps, not Double-Deployant Clasps, which I prefer. (Not to mention that I need a size around 120/75 to 125/80, which makes the possibilities even fewer..)

I can see from pictures that the opening for the Double-Deployant Clasp is larger than the Buckle Clasp, so could you theoretically just take a razor blade and cut a larger opening, then do a swap? Or would this cause fraying? Or is this just an accident waiting to happen? For example, using too much pressure on the blade and cutting too deep, going into the strap.

Also, how much do vendors generally take off the price if it comes with a Buckle and you don't want any buckle? Or do they do that?

Thanks,

:drinks:

Yes and no.

Some straps are deployment compatible even if they are for tangs. All you have to do is remove the buckle with a springbar tool...or in the worst case, you have to cut off the buckle with a jeweller's file, dremel, etc and install the deployment.

The issue is strap thickness. Some deployments are not so forgiving for strap thickness and many of the straps might be too thick to feed through. If it's too thick...it's not going to work.

As to vendor discounts for taking off the buckle...depends on the vendor and the buckle. Pure Time does around $10 without a tang...and + $20 to swap in a deployment. To order a branded rep deployment will be about $55 with shipping ($15-20 for shipping on top of $30-40 for the deployment).

I wouldn't go that route. It will be pure luck if a strap for a tang buckle fits a deployant. And you don't want to cut a strap as it ruins the integrity of the strap as they are usually sealed on the sides. And if you have to cut on the inside of stitching all bets are off. There are plenty of deployant straps available from numerous suppliers.

I wouldn't go that route. It will be pure luck if a strap for a tang buckle fits a deployant. And you don't want to cut a strap as it ruins the integrity of the strap as they are usually sealed on the sides. And if you have to cut on the inside of stitching all bets are off. There are plenty of deployant straps available from numerous suppliers.

Thanks Toad and Kruzer, that's both very helpful info.

That said, I guess I'm going to have to do either a lot more looking, or a lot more waiting. :g:

My preferred choice of strap right now is a Black Shark Skin with Black Stitching with padding, at 24/24 and ~120/75, and deployant... at a reasonable price.

That's a tough combination to find! The closest I came from the suppliers on our links page had everything but the deployant, and it was a little short, 115/70. :unsure:

That said, I guess I'm going to have to do either a lot more looking, or a lot more waiting. :g:

My preferred choice of strap right now is a Black Shark Skin with Black Stitching with padding, at 24/24 and ~120/75, and deployant... at a reasonable price

The next choice would be to go custom. You can look up HKTan in the links, or V, or a number of other strap makers on the board and they can probably do you up what you need, if it doesn't exist as a regular stock item. Timeframe to wait can be 1-3 months...price probably >$100.