When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Titanium PAM 056ish

StormTooper4

Wanted to share my latest addition to my PAM family.

This has been a project that has taken so long to get off the ground I'm surprised that there is something to show at end.

Having recently sold my 127 I realised that I actually missed the Dome of the crystal so I thought I'd try to put together a SLOB. So I got the crystal and a cheapo 177H and thought it would be easy to find somewhere to Brown/Bronze PVD it. But of course I couldn't find anywhere that would or could do it.

Then I found this Destro dial and I thought I know I will make a 26, but still no luck on the PVD front asked a few members, was either a no go or just too expensive given the current exchange rates. I tried a few Aus based coaters but they were either hit or miss on the quality front or flatly refused to even try and coat Titanium.

So I went and bought an Alpha PVD case off of the bay, nowhere near the quality PVD of say a DSN but much less shiny than some I had seen. So I thought we are on the way. But No the case wouldn't fit the Movement from the 177 and the crown actually broke in the process. FRUSTRATION OR WHAT . I won't go into details but I would be interested to hear of any Alpha successes as the lip in the bezel just seems all wrong,

So back to the drawing board and then it came to me, lets build a 056 of sorts. Thought we were on to a winner, but the figgin dial wouldn't fit now. SO this had to be filed down. This was a horrendously nerve-racking experience and is not for the faint hearted I could see that my little project was about to go [censored] up at any minute. It nearly did by scratching the dial on the 10 marker.

Then none of the 4 different type of domes I bought would properly fit and then I ran out of stems in trying to fit the T crown on and then the Crownlever was as loose as a bar door and swang out at any slight movement so the feet needed to filed.

IT WAS NEVER ENDING

But here it is finally (sort of) my fantasy 056, I know the dial is the wrong colour and that crystal shouldn't be seen on this watch, but stuff it. I meet lots of people and only 4 have known what a Panerai was and none of them knew their 127's from there 201a' s , so I'm really not bothered that its nothing like a gen.

What I am bothered about especially after looking at pictures is that the crown guard stil needs some work on the top part , it doesn't look so bad on and I reckon only you guys here would notice anyway, so that can wait for another day…………….

Thanks for looking

ST4

copyofpb273455ma3.jpg

copyofpb273453lq0.jpg

copyofpb273466yx1.jpg

copyofpb273458ym4.jpg

copyofpb273473zl2.jpg

And I know it should be on the other wrist, but that so don't feel right

copyofpb273452kr0.jpg

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=87164

slob aged bronze pvd coating service by me..

rolli

so I thought I'd try to put together a SLOB. So I got the crystal and a cheapo 177H and thought it would be easy to find somewhere to Brown/Bronze PVD it. But of course I couldn't find anywhere that would or could do it.

I actualy like it, looks kinda funky and wacky :-)

Source of that CG please...if you may?

It is a DSN, he sent it to me as a replacement for one I stuffed up on my 055, I could'nt get it to fit as the hole's were to small/screws to big so he sent me another. I had to get the screw heads reduced to get this to fit.

It's maybe not a gen, not even a 1:1 rep of a gen but damn she's got such appeal. Like a 40 destro with a touch of historic/vintage look.

Like it and Panerai could take inspiration for the next SIHH :)

Lonami, now that really is compliment, thank you. Maybe AB is watching ;)