When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noobie from France

Pakz

Hi there guys.

I've been mostly reading this forum yet, and only now decide to really join in and write a first post.

I'm quite new to the rep game, yet I've loved watches for quite some time. I've own a gen Speedmaster Reduced since late 90's. Recently I've been bitten by the bug again, but considering that the watches I'd like to add to my collection included a Panerai Radiomir, a Breitling Navitimer and a Rolie Submariner, well, money being short and me just married, I was thinking that a long wait was in sight when I met a friend who owns a Navi rep', not perfect but quite convincing...

I then though, hey, how about doing the same, and join the dark side ??? B)

Well, I've gotten myself a pretty cheap Radiomir GMT 10 days copy one month ago, and I must say that apart from the "rose gold" coating that went off very soon to reveal a nice "gold gold" case, I'm quite happy with it... albeit the cheap 21J asian movement do freeze from time to time. :huh:

So now, it's time to tackle my two next fancies...

I guess I'll start with the sub' and get me a "beginmariner" very soon

Then, the plan is: get the Navitimer at the begining of next year, and be done with it, at least for some time... I guess that even if I really catch the bug, my wife will make sure I don't buy too many reps... ;)

You sound like you're well on your way. Welcome aboard. Just because you may have an end in sight for the watches you plan to buy...you can always learn to modify them...adjust them...maintain them, etc.

It is a fun hobby...and RWG is filled with some of the most supportive and knowledgeable watch enthusiasts around. These are people who are master watchmakers, master collectors, and masters of information and ephemera.

Check out some of the links in my signature to get you started on some interesting reading...especially the links contained in my Noob Guide.

thanks a lot, toadtorrent,

I have indeed started reading your "guide for noobs" and started learning plenty of interesting things... :oK:

Indeed, I may end up modding watches and so on... For now, however, I'm don't feel confident enough to even just open the case back and inspect more closely the movement... But, I guess it'll come... :D

By the way, how the hell can I have my avatar showing in the forum... When I look at my profile, I see it, but here... no ?

Edited by Pakz

thanks a lot, toadtorrent,

I have indeed started reading your "guide for noobs" and started learning plenty of interesting things... :oK:

Indeed, I may end up modding watches and so on... For now, however, I'm don't feel confident enough to even just open the case back and inspect more closely the movement... But, I guess it'll come... :D

By the way, how the hell can I have my avatar showing in the forum... When I look at my profile, I see it, but here... no ?

I'm not sure about the avatar. Make sure it's 150x150 and <150kb. Try uploading the file instead of hosting it somewhere else...

Thanks toadtorrent... Seems to be working now !!

And thanks for the welcome, Andy ! (and yup, you're very right, I already found most of the info I was looking for here, and learned in the process a health of stuff I didn't even though people could think about !!! ) B) B)

Thanks toadtorrent... Seems to be working now !!

And thanks for the welcome, Andy ! (and yup, you're very right, I already found most of the info I was looking for here, and learned in the process a health of stuff I didn't even though people could think about !!! ) B) B)

No sweat. You'll start to learn even more as your knowledge base increases. When you start seeing some of the projects folks like Ubiquitous, Toomuchgear, Freddy333 and of course The Zigmeister have assembled...WOW. You will be inspired...awed...and motivated! You'll also develop new appreciations for things you might not have given a second glance to before.

• 1 month later...