When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do i regulate Swiss ETA movements?

Guest Dr.TuB

i have read the guide to regulating the movements.

the guide is great and I now know how to regulate A7750s and have perfected my A7750s.

However, i cant seem to regulate Swiss ETA

do you have to turn the screw towards the - to lose a few seconds and + to gain a few second? or is it vice versa?

also when you turn, do you turn it by one marking? or one full turn?

my swiss eta gains 10-15 seconds each day and i want it to be perfect.

can someone help?

To let it run faster you turn the screw to the +

To let it run slower you turn the screw to the -

One division on the scale is about 5s/day.

So in your case , turn the scew 2 to 3 divisions towards the - and check timing again.

This is a fine regulation and the screw head is excentric so that you need not to turn it outside the graduated scale.

If the deviation is outside the reach of this screw (+15/-15 s/day) the regulator lever is to be moved like you do on your a7750. Here this lever however is located underneath the windig unit so that you have to remove it before you can alter its position.

how do we reomove the winding unit?

is it hard to do this?

To let it run faster you turn the screw to the +

To let it run slower you turn the screw to the -

One division on the scale is about 5s/day.

So in your case , turn the scew 2 to 3 divisions towards the - and check timing again.

This is a fine regulation and the screw head is excentric so that you need not to turn it outside the graduated scale.

If the deviation is outside the reach of this screw (+15/-15 s/day) the regulator lever is to be moved like you do on your a7750. Here this lever however is located underneath the windig unit so that you have to remove it before you can alter its position.

how do we reomove the winding unit?

is it hard to do this?

I'm assuming you're talking about the spinning rotor. You can just let it swing out of the way...you don't have to remove it. It can get kind of annoying with it's spring loaded swinging...but that's how it works. You're only making micro-adjustments at a time so you don't want to have to keep putting the rotor back on and taking it off repeatedly.

"(If adjusting via the screw doesn't regulate it enough, on an ETA movement--like the one pictured below--the farther apart you move arms A & B from each other, the longer the stroke, so the slower the watch will run. However, a little goes a long way with this, so use cautiously)"

how do i move A, if its hiddin in the movement... it isnt as easy accessable as the A7750s

"(If adjusting via the screw doesn't regulate it enough, on an ETA movement--like the one pictured below--the farther apart you move arms A & B from each other, the longer the stroke, so the slower the watch will run. However, a little goes a long way with this, so use cautiously)"

how do i move A, if its hiddin in the movement... it isnt as easy accessable as the A7750s

183673-6507.jpg

Just swing the rotor out of the way...you'll have to stop the rotor in part of it's rotation to access the adjusting parts. If you have the ETA movement, it should look just like the pic in the Gioarmani tutorial...you can see where the rotor is in that picture...the rotor is not removed. Just adjust the screw that's circled in Gioarmani's pic above. The pic is of a GMT...which is using a modified 2836. "A and B" as daschund corrected me below, is to adjust the beat.

Generally...stay away from "B"...and just use the screw...if you can. It shouldn't be out of whack that much.

The lever that Toadtorrent has highlighted with the red arrow is the beat adjustment lever, not the time adjustment lever. Unless you are an experienced watchmaker or at least have the propert timing tools to readjust the beat, DON NOT MOVE THIS LEVER, the timing lever is in fact under the winding rotor and the rotor must be removed to access the timing lever. Without proper timing tools to readjust the beat, it is a total hit and miss to ajust properly.

The lever that Toadtorrent has highlighted with the red arrow is the beat adjustment lever, not the time adjustment lever. Unless you are an experienced watchmaker or at least have the propert timing tools to readjust the beat, DON NOT MOVE THIS LEVER, the timing lever is in fact under the winding rotor and the rotor must be removed to access the timing lever. Without proper timing tools to readjust the beat, it is a total hit and miss to ajust properly.

Exactly...thanks! The pic is actually Gioarmani's from his tutorial. The tool required to adjust the beat costs A LOT...in the neighbourhood of $800 CDN!!! So, it's not worthwhile to get one unless you have money to burn, or plan to do a lot of adjustments.

The lever for coarse time adjusting is marked "rate" in the picture below.

As said and in order to access it you need to remove the rotor and the plate holding the auto winding gears.

This is only required if the fine tuning (with the screw) is not enough.

And yes , dont touch the other lever (marked "beat") unless you have propper beat measurng equipment.

post-610-1228382518_thumb.jpg

got it!!!

i didnt actually remove any part of the movement. i just used a 0.60mm screw driver an slightly moved the lever hidden under the movement.

my eta SFSO is now running at -1 sec per day :D

and all my A7750s are running +/-3 sec per day at most :D

will now regulate all my ETAs

The lever for coarse time adjusting is marked "rate" in the picture below.

As said and in order to access it you need to remove the rotor and the plate holding the auto winding gears.

This is only required if the fine tuning (with the screw) is not enough.

And yes , dont touch the other lever (marked "beat") unless you have propper beat measurng equipment.

post-610-1228382518_thumb.jpg