When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Milgauss 1019: FYI

mcdj

I just received a 1019 Milgauss rep from a trusted dealer. (shipping was blindingly fast BTW)

The photos on his site show a matte black dial, correct for the watch. From the photos, the watch is VERY convincing.

Other sites show a version with a glaringly incorrect glossy dial, an incorrect seconds track, incorrect luminous inlay on the hands, and incorrect (small) printing of ROLEX and MILGAUSS, both of which are big and bold on a gen 1019.

Much to my chagrin, the watch I received today bears the inferior dial, and does not match at all the dial in the photos on the dealer's site.

To the dealer's credit, he replied promptly and offered a refund. Also, he said that the watch makers have changed the dial several times in the 5 years since the photos were taken, although he didn't exactly come right out and say his photos were misleading, or apologize for the difference. Instead, I was told to "expect slight differences" because it was a replica. A slight difference in font, or other dial printing I can understand, but a replica of a watch that never had a glossy dial should not have a glossy dial, period, ESPECIALLY if it's listed as "Top Grade Vintage".

This experience tells me 2 things;

2. The 1019 reps, like the genuine version, are simply not popular. If they were, more attention would be paid to getting the dial right. On a watch as simple and elegant as the 1019, it's all about the dial.

1. The few people who do buy a 1019 rep are not as fanatical about the details as Sub/SD buyers, thus the watch makers can change the dial at will, the dealers can sell them using 5 year old photos, and no one will either care or notice.

This was my first online rep purchase. I think it will be my last. I've been spoiled by living in NYC for 15 years, a couple of subway stops from Canal St., where you can see exactly what you're buying before you buy. (Unfortunately, Canal St. is going the way of the dinosaur in terms of quality watch reps, as the feds crack down on the dealers.) Based on what I've seen and bought over the years there, the Milgauss I received today is about a $60 watch (the rotor sound and winding feel were exactly like every $60 rep I've owned and absolutely nothing like any ETA based watch I've owned), for which I paid nearly $250 with shipping. Now I have to make a special trip to the post office, stand in line, and spend probably $25 to ship it back to China. So the dealer's outdated photos lead me to spend $25 for nothing.

I know there are high quality reps out there, but my feeling is they're only in the $400 and up range. Below that price point, it seems to be a crap shoot. I've seen the EXACT same watches online that I've bought downtown for 1/4 the price.

<_<

Edited by mcdj

I think I speak for 50% of members here when I say we've purchased things from dealers at least once or twice that were "off" compared to their photos...

My advice, and take it or leave it, is to stick to the member trade areas here on the board...that way you can ask for "live" pictures and be sure you're getting a watch with a working movement, etc. Also, you've got the power of the membership on the boards... people are less likely to post misleading pictures and have shipping issues, etc...especially if you buy from established members...