When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what sort of camera do you recommend...

kronos twin

Canon Rebel DSLR...12 megapix. They arent too expensive either, not much more than a good point and shoot. Then get a good Canon or Tamron Macro lens (on my wish list thanks to this site).

You can make a cheap soft box with flourescant tubes or curly flourescant bulbs surrounded by a white sheet or T.

Here is a link to my watch pics shot with a Canon 10D DSLR, 50mm, 35-80mm, Canon lenses with 2x converter.

First pics are of a ladies DJ, Scroll down past comments to see more pics of my Blue TT:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...&hl=ifly_65

Canon Rebel DSLR...12 megapix. They arent too expensive either, not much more than a good point and shoot. Then get a good Canon or Tamron Macro lens (on my wish list thanks to this site).

I'm not sure that's the best advice, to be honest.

A Canon EOS (or any DSLR) is the sort of thing I'd recommend to someone with a bit of experience. A decent SLR and decent lens is distinctly not cheap.

You're better off with any of the big-brand point-and-shoot cameras or one of the decent bridge cameras if you want to learn more.

Starting on a DSLR is like learning to drive in a tuned race car with adjustable suspension and gearing.

I've taken most of my watch pictures with my little Fuji Finepix F11.

fuji_finepix_f11_review.jpg

6 megapixels and an excellent macro mode. I shoot my shots at 2 mp. 10 or 12 is unnecessary. Because it's so small, it's easy to handhold and so I rarely dig out my tripod and Nikon DSLR.

BBK%20023.jpg

Graham%203.jpg

Picot%20Dial%201.jpg

These aren't "fine art" shots, but they're fast and easy, and decently good.

My camera is an old model. New models will force you to buy 10+ mp. Again, overkill. Look around the site Pug linked. Read up a bit.

Also, I have an inexpensive copy of Photoshop Elements. Easy to resize, crop, color correct, and has a fantastic ability to sharpen pics w/very natural look.

Edited by AllergyDoc

Within reason, the camera does not matter -- any digital point & shoot with at least 4 megapixels & a macro (close-up) function will do. Your ability to learn & master YOUR camera's features are far more important (in being able to produce great pictures) than the camera itself. Buy whichever camera you like & READ THE MANUAL. Then practice taking LOTS of pictures until shooting comes naturally (think of how much better you can drive a car when you do not have to remember where the brake is or how much the steering wheel affects the tracking of the front wheels). Learn how to compose pictures & how lighting effects the objects in them. There are many tutorials online (some on RWG).

A skilled photographer with the world's cheapest camera can always produce great pictures. An unskilled newbie with the world's greatest camera will not.

Me, I use a cheap Canon point & shoot

Rotorsideofmovement005a1.jpg

newmanwoman41.jpg

Within reason, the camera does not matter -- any digital point & shoot with at least 4 megapixels & a macro (close-up) function will do. Your ability to learn & master YOUR camera's features are far more important (in being able to produce great pictures) than the camera itself. Buy whichever camera you like & READ THE MANUAL. Then practice taking LOTS of pictures until shooting comes naturally (think of how much better you can drive a car when you do not have to remember where the brake is or how much the steering wheel affects the tracking of the front wheels). Learn how to compose pictures & how lighting effects the objects in them. There are many tutorials online (some on RWG).

A skilled photographer with the world's cheapest camera can always produce great pictures. An unskilled newbie with the world's greatest camera will not.

This is the best advice anyone starting out can heed.

I agree, having a high end camera but not knowing how to properly use it is...a waste. I take better photos with my point and click than with my Canon 40D...and even though the girlfriend does take good photos with her nifty Nikon D300, she actually had more consistent photos with her Nikon D30 at 25% of the cost. Go figure...

I think taking photos is an art that you just need to take the time to master...I see so many GREAT photos from our members that I enjoy thoroughly.

dave :victory:

I use a canon g9 before that I used a canon sd300 before that I used to shoot professionally with a canon 10D and about $5000.00 in lenses. I find for most everything (travel, and watches alike) the G9 does a great job.

The G10 is the newer model. Id recommend it

Good luck in your search. do a search for digital camera reviews the 1st 2 hits should have comparisons dpreview and another site. Enjoy

This is great information, friend. Thank you. Given my inexperience with professional photography, I will go with a reliable point and click camera with good resolution. Perhaps in time, I will evolve into a decent photographer. Again, many thanks. BTW Nice BBK AllergyDoc! and Nice Graham's as well to you and jchurch!